ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2 Overwrite Web Layer removes layer from all web maps.

04-03-2019 01:49 PM
WillArellano
Occasional Contributor

Hello, 

Before I upgraded to the latest ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2, I was able to "push" my data changes to my web maps on ArcGIS Online using the Share> Overwrite Web Layer tool. This updated the data online, but left my pop-ups configured and didn't require any extra work by me (except if I happened to change the symbology). After I upgraded, I am following the same workflow to update ArcGIS Online, but I now have to go back into each of my Web Maps that are using the layer and re-add the layer that I just updated using the Overwrite Web Layer tool, and of course then spend time reconfiguring my pop-ups. It isn't like the overwritten layer isn't refreshing or anything like that, it is literally just gone from the web map. What a pain! 

Anyone else experiencing this? 

26 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

You'll have to clarify your workflow with more detailed steps. I'm able to Overwrite Web Layer (Hosted Feature Service) in 2.3.2 and any web maps hanging off that service keep their popups, symbology, etc.

0 Kudos
WillArellano
Occasional Contributor

Ok, so I have the layer (File Geodatabase Feature Class) I want to upload to ArcGIS Online displayed in ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2 with symbology defined (symbology has not changed recently). I then right click on the layer name in the table of contents, go to Sharing --> Overwrite Web Layer. The Overwrite Web Layer box pops up so I can choose my folder and layer I want to overwrite in Portal. I choose the layer I want to overwrite and click ok. Then I get a box that pops up warning me that if I overwrite the web layer, all of its associated data and popups will be lost...etc. I have always gotten this warning and it never affected anything negatively so I just click OK.

The Overwrite Web Layer configuration pane opens and I leave the defaults as I always did: Use the item description from the web layer, Shared with the appropriate groups, etc.

I click Analyze and then Publish. Once that is done I reload my Web App. I used to immediately see my changes and pop-up was still configured properly. Now I am getting a message:

I then log into my ArcGIS Online account and open the web map that the web app is using and get this error message: 

Then I look at the Contents window and see that the water lines layer has completely disappeared from the web map. 

This is when I have to manually re-add and configure it. 

I think I captured all the steps here. Hopefully someone can help. 

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Ahh so this is Portal, not AGOL? What version of Portal? How is the original layer being published?

0 Kudos
WillArellano
Occasional Contributor

The original layer was published the same way as I described above for overwriting it, I just selected Share as Web Layer (feature layer) rather than Overwrite Web Layer. 

No, I am not using Portal, I am developing my layers in Pro and then "pushing" them to AGOL. When I select Overwrite Web Layer it prompts me to select the layer I am overwriting in Portal --> My Content which then displays all my folders of data on AGOL right in Pro. 

Sorry if I am not explaining this well, I am fairly new to Pro and how it connects to AGOL for publishing layers. Just can't understand why everything was working, I upgraded to the newest Pro and now it isn't working.

Thanks for trying to help though 🙂

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This has started happening to us recently as well. I've been using AGO and Pro for years and never have had this issue. 9 times out of 10 when overwriting a hosted feature service with an updated internal layer, the ID, REST Service, map layer, etc. stays the same and it just works. The last month or two though - everytime I overwrite a layer, it breaks in our web maps.

Esri documentation says overwriting a HFS "may" change the ID, but I've never had issues with this until recently. I'm not sure if its a Pro thing or an AGO thing, but it has essentially broken our almost daily process. Every time we "update" a layer, it breaks and we have to spend a good hour fixing all the maps.

I've done some checking, specifically on our 911 and parcel layers, and the unique item ID/REST ID isn't changing, but yet we get the "layer cannot be added to map" error and have to re-add it.

WillArellano
Occasional Contributor

Yes! It really puts a kink in the whole process, and it didn't happen until I upgraded my Pro. Before that everything worked perfectly. It could be that AGO just happened to also get upgraded the same week that the upgraded Pro came out.

ShannonLunderville
New Contributor II

I too just let Pro update to 2.3.3 and then updated my AGOL layers the same exact way Alyssia is doing it and am getting the same exact error messages. This is the way I've been doing it all along with zero issues. I can't believe there is not a more viable solution than to re-add all my updated layers to each map, and reconfigure every single thing about it - popups, expressions, everything I customized is LOST??? Every time I update my data now? That is a ton of extra time that none of us have!

Hey, ESRI is there a work around, because this is REALLY disappointing?!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm currently working with Tech Support and testing on my end, but Esri says this should have been fixed with Pro 2.3.3. I've tested one layer and it seems to have worked, I'm currently testing other layers and having another Department check their overwrites to see if it is indeed fixed.

Esri also suggested using the "allow assignment of unique numeric IDs" in the map properties to preserve the layer ID. I've tested with this box checked and unchecked and haven't been able to determine if it helps. I told Esri I don't know where this box came from as I never remember seeing it, but I've never had to check that box when doing an overwrite before.

I also don't know if this is an issue with AGO versus Portal. We're using AGO.

FreddieBallard
New Contributor

I am also experiencing the overwrite issue as described by Alyssia since the ArcGIS TLS Security Protocol v1.2 went into effect.  Web maps lose their layers after overwriting.  I upgraded to Pro 2.3.3 and the issue persists.  I checked the box for "allow assignment of unique numeric IDs" as Nathan suggested and still have same issue.  I have to rebuild each web map every time I overwrite layers.

0 Kudos