ArcGIS Pro 2.2.0 and Python Package Manager

Jump to solution
06-27-2018 11:00 AM
MitchHolley1
MVP Regular Contributor

I updated to Pro 2.2.0 today and noticed the default python environment is now read-only.  The previously downloaded packages I had were wiped out with the new update.  I need to get the package, spyder, back into my environment.  So, I cloned the arcgispro-py3 environment in order to make the install. 

Notice that the window says, "Restart ArcGIS Pro for your environment changes to take effect."

So, I clicked 'Exit'. 

After the program restarted, I no longer have a cloned environment to select.

Can someone please help?

112 Replies
HåkonDreyer
Esri Contributor

Well, Jupyter is there by default already, and for us preferring a different IDE, shipping the default with Spyder will just be noise. But Spyder could of course be an option when installing.

IMHO keeping the default read only and support cloned environments is a good approach as long as the Environment manager works.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Emphasis on:    ...as long as the Environment manager works...

That should just about do it....
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

FYI... there is more than one Jupyter.... this is one, that I am referring to.

If I wanted to see a map (aka Jupyter Notebook), I would use ArcGIS Pro instead

AND

A cloned environment is totally useless in some environments... like teaching... where the Users folder is routinely wiped clean.

Our only option is to install the "pristine" environment using conda.

Allow us the option at least of deciding for ourselves what to install and where...

After all we are the users and those packages are part of the distribution, so I assume that they have been tested... everything worked in Beta 2.2 after I 'conda-ed' it... did something happen since then?

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

PS... as for noise... that is a matter of opinion... there are lots of 'fluff' packages installed in the distribution already

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Allow us the option at least of deciding for ourselves what to install and where...

^^^^ This... ^^^^^

That should just about do it....
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone know if the Pro patch 2.2.2 released today has resolved the issues with Python Package Manager?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Did you actually try to install the patch to see if it fixed Python Package Manager, irregardless of whether this is mentioned in the release notes for Patch 2.2.2?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

me???? no way!!!

I am going to let one of my students try it tomorrow during class … I will report then    

0 Kudos
AndréMendes
New Contributor

Hi I clone the original enviroment from the prompt (conda create -n -my_arcgispro-py3 --clone "YOURPATH"

Them I activate the enviroment (activate my_arcgispro-py3)

Them I updated the packages conda upgrade -c esri arcgis

Them I started ArcGisPRO 2.2. 

I checked in PYTHON PACKAGE MANAGER and the MyEnviroment WAS THERE AND RUNING!!

Check here to see some tips also: Install and set up | ArcGIS for Developers