ArcGIS Pro 2.1.0: Remove Subtype failed with error

Jump to solution
02-22-2018 12:34 AM
AbhijeetKulkarni
Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.1.0 with utility network data model. I have added couple of subtypes for assembly FC. If I try to delete one Subtype using 'remove subtype' tool, OR with 'create/manage' pane of subtype and save it, it fails with below error.

ERROR 002140: The subtype is required by utility network. Failed to execute (RemoveSubtype).

There are no custom domains assigned to it. Am I missing something to remove/change before removing subtype?

xander_bakker‌ 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AbhijeetKulkarni
Occasional Contributor

This issue is listed in 'Known issues' list.

• When you attempt to remove a subtype on a utility network feature class which is required for the utility network, an error number of '999999' is given.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Different error but similar situation

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/tool-errors-and-warnings/001001-010000/tool-errors-a...

To delete a domain, it cannot be assigned to any fields in a table (with or without subtypes), or be a required domain in the utility network.

AbhijeetKulkarni
Occasional Contributor

Dan Patterson, Its correct for domain. Domain can be created independently and then assigned to any subtype as per need so to delete that domain it shouldn't be assigned anywhere.My case is with subtype itself. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

just wanted to check that a similar rule wasn't applied to subtype... ie it isn't being used elsewhere

0 Kudos
AbhijeetKulkarni
Occasional Contributor

This issue is listed in 'Known issues' list.

• When you attempt to remove a subtype on a utility network feature class which is required for the utility network, an error number of '999999' is given.
0 Kudos
DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

Howard Crothers

We too are having the problem that we cannot remove assetgroups from the standard WaterDistribution Asset Package.

At the latest versions of UN 2.2, ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1, UNTools 2.2.1, and ArcGIS Pro 2.2.1.

We can add assetgroups/subtypes OK - just not drop tem.

Is it possibly an AttributeRule causing a lock? I cant work out how to find these.

0 Kudos
PaulLeBlanc1
Esri Contributor

David,

What error are you receiving? Are you deleting the subtypes from the asset package (which is file geodatabase) or your utility network (which is an enterprise geodatabase)?

0 Kudos
DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

Hi Paul,

when attempting to drop AssetGroup "Bond Junction" from WaterJunction feature class - The error message says it is "in use by another domain or subtype"

The deletion is happening against the Utility Network itself not the package.

The workflow we are attempting to use is 

- stage and create the UN in our ArcGIS Enterprise geodb from the starter WaterDistribution_AssetPackage (without loading the data)

- change the coordinate system to match our needs

- disable the UN

- modify the schema of the classes in the UN to match our data requirements

- update the rules and associations to match the new schema

- re-enable UN

- export as a new local package

- use the fgdb in the package as a template for a staging file database

- use FME and simple loader tools to populate the staging fgdb

- load the Enterprise GeoDB from the staging fgdb

- enable branch versioning, etc...

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

David,

If you are going to remove Asset Groups/Asset Types, you will need to do that in the asset package.  Once they are applied to the utility network, they cannot be removed.  There are a lot of connected items to these properties, rules, network attributes, etc.  They cannot just be dropped.  The same goes for the Asset Package, but you can remove them as they are not all connected at that point.  

So if you remove an Asset Group in the Asset Package, make sure to review the B_ tables and remove all references from it in those tables.

DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

Thanks Michael, I just posted in the other thread where this has come up.

we have found the cross link to an attribute rule that does reference the assetgroup in question but have not yet tried dripping this directly in the UN

i appreciate the clarification that schema change should be made in the fgdb in the package.

It really would be great if a post or paper could be provided outlying a little more detail of the best way to build a new UN starting with the standard packages and then altering to match local schema needs.

the existing help certainly guided me to make the changes in the UN once staged. but maybe that’s just me leaping to conclusions.

are you saying you just cannot apply schema change once in UN or that is is especially tricky to do it that way? I would have thought getting some feedback when attempting to do changes that are cross related is a good thing and leads to a more consistent outcome.

0 Kudos