ArcGIS Connection Test network route test - failed reason unknown

12-28-2016 08:19 AM
WilliamMoran1
New Contributor

I have been having issues with using online services. Whenever I click "add basemap" or "add data from arcgis online" arcmap almost immediately crashes. The globe in the notifications tells me that I am connected to ArcGIS online and that I am signed in, however when I run a connection test it gives me the following results:

Proxy server test - passed

no proxy server

Download speed test - passed

Network latency test - undetermined

Reason unknown

Network route test - failed

Reason unknown

I have looked everywhere and have found no resolution. If anyone has any idea what could be causing these issues or has a link that would help me fix them that would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

William,

The first thing I would do is get with your IT firewall people and see if they are blocking any communication to anything *.esri.* or *.arcgis.*

0 Kudos
WilliamMoran1
New Contributor

Thanks Robert,

I am actually a student using arcgis on two home networks so while that may be the issue, I will not have IT support with that. Any advice on troubleshooting that myself? The network I had been using at my home at school didn't have these issues, so I know I should be able to run arcgis fine on a home network. These issues just began once I went back to my parents house over break. 

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

William,

Unfortunately there are many unknown variables in a home network (i.e. router firewall, isp imposed firewall, etc). I not sure I can help in this situation.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Network latency test - undetermined

Reason unknown

Network route test - failed

Reason unknown

My guess is these errors will give you a clue, and as Robert mentioned, home networks have too many variables for a forum like this to probably figure out. 

With that said, I know I have to replace my modem (wireless and wired) every year or so.  They just start having flaky connection issues.  In on sense, this seems like it would be too often, but a technician put it in perspective for me once.  Considering most home networks are on 24-7, and these things aren't build with the highest quality parts most the time, the heat from being on all the time can make them act up. Sometimes cheaper to just get a new one that chase down why.

If not a simple piece of hardware like that, then your folks might have some firewall or other administration in place. And again, way too many possibilities.  Maybe your folks will give you the admin password so you can check it out.

Also, are you sure your student license is still valid outside of school?

Some suggestions.....wait a day and see if its temporary; bring your machine to a friends house or another location and see if you can connect to ArcGIS Online fine there  (I'm assuming you tried connecting thru the browser only too....ruling out that GIS software from getting in the way), start looking at the network.