Apply Default Value to Field not Saving

Jump to solution
05-05-2020 02:18 PM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

ArcGIS Pro 2.5

I have a file geodatabase with a number of domains. I have finally been able able to alter the domain values; when I first tried the save button never illuminated.  After trying a few more time it finally allowed me to save the domain.

Now when I set the Default field value, no matter what I do the save icon remains grayed out.  When I try to close the Fields view, I get scolded that there are unsaved changes.  So I click save, and I am returned back to the Fields view.  So I close it. Again. And get scolded. Again.  I repeat until I can't stand it anymore and finally don't save and I am released from ArcGIS Pro prison.

What's the deal with saving domains and/or field defaults?  Does it work or not?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisFox
Esri Regular Contributor

Joe Borgione‌, if you are using the editing feature templates to construct the points, the feature templates are what is setting the default values. You can update the existing feature templates with your defaults or create new templates with your desired default values.

Feature templates—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I haven't Dan Patterson but I will in the morning.  Just for fun I created a scratch fgdb, with a scratch feature class with  a couple fields in it.  First I just assigned a default value to each of the fields; I was able to save the fields view and added a couple of points. All good.  I then changed the default values again, saved and added a couple more points.  All good.

Then  created a domain with a few values, and set default values based on the domain; added a cople points and that worked just fine. I also went in and changed the default domain value.  All good, all around.

The project, database, and domains are all part of the Address Data Mangagement Solution.  I've experienced a few gremlin like problems besides this one.  I'm not sure if it's my ArcGIS Pro installation, my laptop, or the aprx itself.  

I'll post up tomorrow what I come up with using the tool.

Chris Fox

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

It was a gallant try but even using the tool Dan Patterson suggests doesn't fix the problem.  I ran the tool on two fields:

Saved the project and exited the Pro session.  After re-opening the session, I edited the point feature by adding a new point and the default values are ignored:

So it seems I'm back to my thoughts of bad Pro install, bad machine, or bad aprx....

The good news is I am celebrating my sons' Mother this weekend by traveling to Southern Utah tomorrow with her (and one of our sons) to hunt down petrified wood in the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument...

Petrified wood tree log segments in Wolverine Petrified Forest ...

ChrisFox
Esri Regular Contributor

Joe Borgione‌, if you are using the editing feature templates to construct the points, the feature templates are what is setting the default values. You can update the existing feature templates with your defaults or create new templates with your desired default values.

Feature templates—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Okay!  That works! Thanks Chris Fox!

0 Kudos