Select to view content in your preferred language

Appending Data to Geodatabase that is not in the same coordinate system

Jump to solution
04-03-2024 11:35 AM
GISUSER6
New Contributor III

If I wanted to append a shapefile that is in WGS 1984 to an empty feature class within a geodatabase that is in a local county coordinate system (NAD 1983 HARN etc.), would I need to project the data before appending it? Or does a transformation occur within this tool somehow? I did not see any transformation in the python scripting of the tool when I ran a test without projecting any data. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Append (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

with the warning

The input and target datasets may have different spatial references. When this is the case, the tool projects the input features to the target's coordinate system. For best results, specify an appropriate geographic transformation using the Geographic Transformations environment. If the target dataset is a map layer, the tool may apply a default transformation. In Python, there is no default transformation.

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

3 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Are you using the "Append" tool?

Is the "geodatabase"  file geodatabase or enterprise (and if so, which RDBMS)?

Even if it would allow it, I wouldn't be terribly comfortable trying to project on the fly as an append.

- V

0 Kudos
GISUSER6
New Contributor III

Yes, I am using the append tool and it is a file geodatabase .

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Append (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

with the warning

The input and target datasets may have different spatial references. When this is the case, the tool projects the input features to the target's coordinate system. For best results, specify an appropriate geographic transformation using the Geographic Transformations environment. If the target dataset is a map layer, the tool may apply a default transformation. In Python, there is no default transformation.

... sort of retired...