Appending Annotation Feature Class

Jump to solution
01-20-2022 07:18 AM
MichaelDeliberato
New Contributor III

Good Morning All,

Wanted to rack your brains. I have an annotation layer that's in an editing environment. I want to copy over that FC to a Read Only environment for my services. The idea is to truncate and append every weekend because the anno FC is about 4 -5 million records and appending that data seems to take a long time. I have tried the Append Annotation feature class tool and it has taken it nearly 24 hours to complete. Does anyone have any ideas on how I may be able to speed this process up or perhaps a different methodology that may take a shorter amount of processing time with the same results? Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

So my understanding is you would create two web feature layers - one for the editors with VMS enabled so folks could edit as they normally do. Then you would create a second web feature layer with the query capability enabled and editing/export/sync disabled.  As editors edit data in the first web feature layer, when they post to default, the changes are available to the second web feature layer.  At least that is my understanding on how this would work.

To your question though - the 2nd web layer is created from the default version much the same way you did for the editing web layer service.  Since replication is not supported in branch versioning, no issues as no replicas.  Performance "should" be fine but as you stated, millions of features.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One thing that comes to mind if you have an Enterprise Geodatabase is a one-way parent to child replica and create your services off of the child replica.  When you synchronize parent to child, changes in the parent not seen in the child would sync over.  That would be a lot faster I would think as only changes are synced over, not existing data.

MichaelDeliberato
New Contributor III

@Robert_LeClair 

Thanks! ill give it a shot. Versioning for the replica may be a problem for me though as the editing database, where the data would be coming from, is already branch versioned. Have you come across any issues with anything like that?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

So branch versioned data is not supported with geodatabase replication in ArcGIS Pro so this workflow may not work.  But this workflow described here for supporting editors and viewers would work.

0 Kudos
MichaelDeliberato
New Contributor III

@Robert_LeClair 
I was just talking this over with my Director. Would this service be created directly from the editing enterprise geo with out any replication, and the editing capabilities turned off? That makes sense but I'm a little worried about performance on the editors end since their work is now service based as well.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

So my understanding is you would create two web feature layers - one for the editors with VMS enabled so folks could edit as they normally do. Then you would create a second web feature layer with the query capability enabled and editing/export/sync disabled.  As editors edit data in the first web feature layer, when they post to default, the changes are available to the second web feature layer.  At least that is my understanding on how this would work.

To your question though - the 2nd web layer is created from the default version much the same way you did for the editing web layer service.  Since replication is not supported in branch versioning, no issues as no replicas.  Performance "should" be fine but as you stated, millions of features.

MichaelDeliberato
New Contributor III

Brilliant! I'm trying a regular append right now and it seems to be moving pretty fast. Im going to create a service off of the append and a service from default on enterprise to see which one performs better but i really appreciate the help!

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Good luck!  Let us know what you learn.  All the best!

0 Kudos