Select to view content in your preferred language

Anyone ever get a Time Cube to actually work?

Jump to solution
12-27-2023 02:05 PM
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Been at it for days now and I just keep getting weird messages.  Always some tool that does not work.

Currently stuck here.  Raster properties show it has a dimension but toolbox says no.  Multidimensional toolbar works fine I think.  But when I try a temporal profile nothing happens on the screen at all.  What does it not like? on Pro 3.13

DougBrowning_0-1703714484967.png

I was also randomly flash one of the times

MDTimeDisappear.gif

I am very experienced and following the help but its pretty limited.

Thanks for any tips. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ok finally got it.  I had to set both the start and end times as dimensions  Cannot use just year in a text field which is a bummer really.  Also added 10 years.

DougBrowning_0-1703792773932.png

Then it adds this field with just the 12/31 dates for some reason.

DougBrowning_1-1703792824281.png

Looking good though classified into meeting or not meeting by year.

DougBrowning_2-1703792884856.png

Or continuous

DougBrowning_3-1703792927797.png

Thanks a lot

View solution in original post

7 Replies
RonaldHaug
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Doug,

This is pretty cool. Raster properties say it has a time dimension. Maybe it's just not the correct dimension you put in the tool. 

According to the ArcGIS Pro help, "The temporal structure of the multidimensional raster layer cube is defined by the time dimensions of the multidimensional raster layer."

What does the feature class metadata tell you about time dimension, time interval, time duration or how to do analysis with it?

On the feature class time property, what does the calculate button do for you? If you have a 1 year time step  interval would you want your last interval to be on 1/1/1988 so you have a slice for each of those years on that date, or will you be doing some kind of integral calculus on the accumulation/reduction over each year?

Here's the help article: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/space-time-pattern-mining/learnmorecreatecub...

Let us know what you found out.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I tried all kind of dates already but it made no diff.  I think I got it correct since Time Slider works great on my mosaic dataset.  I even got it to publish to Imagery Server and it works in WAB time slider.

I have tried text years, just start as a date, and start and end dates to create the Multidimension Raster.  All of them will light up the Multidimension toolbar.  I can scroll the 3 rasters in that toolbar no problem.

Mosaic Dataset

DougBrowning_0-1703719861785.png

Calculate on the time fields rarely works.  Only a few times it was correct.

Source on the MD raster has all the years

DougBrowning_2-1703720151633.png

I can export a NetCDF too.  Its just that one tool to go to space cube will not go.

I will admit I am not totally sure what it is asking about Variables so much. Its a raster so its just values.  Not sure where StdTime is coming from really but its my only option in the drop down.  I think I get the dimension part.  Tried all the settings on and off hundreds of times now.

Hope something in there makes some sense.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Mmmm is this saying I need at least 10 years?  Not the message I get but maybe?

• The Input Multidimensional Raster Layer must have at least 10 time intervals to be used in this tool.

0 Kudos
RonaldHaug

Cool Doug!

In that case can you change the time interval to monthly? Then you'll have 36 values.

Also what does the metadata say about the feature class I mentioned before?

RSVP - Thanks!

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There is no feature class these are rasters so not sure what you mean?  There is also no metadata.  I cannot just change to months as there are just 3 rasters either way in the catalog.  

I am going to try and get 10 years of rasters and see if that works.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ok finally got it.  I had to set both the start and end times as dimensions  Cannot use just year in a text field which is a bummer really.  Also added 10 years.

DougBrowning_0-1703792773932.png

Then it adds this field with just the 12/31 dates for some reason.

DougBrowning_1-1703792824281.png

Looking good though classified into meeting or not meeting by year.

DougBrowning_2-1703792884856.png

Or continuous

DougBrowning_3-1703792927797.png

Thanks a lot

RonaldHaug

Hi Doug,

Congratulations on your persistence!

Incredible visuals.