Allow some labels to overlap a feature, but not others - Is Mapplex missing label weight?

03-05-2021 12:10 PM
MarkVolz
Occasional Contributor III

I noticed that we can set feature weights, but not label weights using Mapplex.  This functionality appears to be available in the standard label engine, but not in Mapplex.  Having the ability to set the label weight is useful so that we can allow labels from one layer overlap a feature, but not labels from another class.  I would like to know is this feature missing in Maplex or is it set elsewhere?

For example, consider the following:  We have 3 layers, a substation point layer, an address point layer, and a road layer.  The label for substation point may cover the road centerline.  However, the label for the address points must never cover the road centerlines. 

In the standard label engine we can control if a label from a particular class may or may not cover a feature from another class by adjusting the label weight so that it is higher or lower than the feature class weight.  For example, I can set the label in feature weights so that the substation labels can cover roads, but the address point labels cannot cover the roads.

• Substations: feature weight low, label weight high
  • Address Points: feature weight low, label weight low
  • Roads: feature weight Medium, label weight medium.

In Mapplex we can set a feature weight to discourage labels from being placed over a feature.  We can also set the feature weight to 1000 to stop any label from being placed over a label.  However, I am not sure if there is a way to allow labels from one feature class cover a feature while labels from another class not be allowed to cover a feature.

Please let me know if there is a way to set Mapplex up so that I can allow labels from the substations cover the roads, while at the same time making sure that labels from the address points not cover the road centerlines.

Thanks

1 Reply
OlyPowers
New Contributor III

I am also having this issue. I have a polygon for an area of interest in which I would like to label the street names, but I do not want the streams labeled within the polygon. The only alternative I can think of is to create an exact replica Map Frame that only has the street names, and place that on top of the actual Map Frame. However this seems like it's unnecessary workaround.

0 Kudos