Align two vector shapefiles (cells)

08-30-2021 02:38 AM
FoekeBoersma
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I want to align two vector shapefiles that both are represented by 100m by 100m cells. Thereby, the pink cells have to be placed on the green/yellow cells (see picture below).

FoekeBoersma_0-1630315841577.png

I already executed the "align features"-tool with different search distances (10m, 100m, 500m, 1000m) but the output is incorrectly aligned (see picture below). Therefore, I wonder how the two vector shapefiles can be aligned correctly.

FoekeBoersma_1-1630315958286.png

I used the same Geographic coordinate systems (GRS_1980_IUGG_1980_Lambert_Azimuthal_Equal_Area) for the two shapefiles and the basemap. 

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

This is definitely not a use case for Align Features, but more likely for Transform Features.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/editing/transform-features.htm

Transform Features requires links between known locations, for example, the Affine Transformation method requires minimum 3 links.

I looked your data, but it was unclear to me which cells in one data should correspond to which cells in the other. If you can identify matching cells, you can try to create a line feature class and add some links to it. Then run Transform Features.  If the links are not between corresponding locations, then the result won't be right.