Adding Fields to a Feature Class ArcMap 10.3.1

Jump to solution
09-20-2022 07:03 AM
Labels (2)
daniel__j
New Contributor II

Hello,

We are using ArcMap 10.3.1 (Yes, extremely outdated) and I have run into an issue when attempting to add a new field to a particular Feature Class.

Typically it is quite easy. I right click the Feature Class I want to edit in the Catalog and select the "Properties" option. Then I open up the "Fields" tab. Find an empty row and type in the name of the new field.

However several of the Feature Class's that I need to add fields to do not have any more empty rows. Since the Feature Class is define in a MS SQL Database I could add the field/column with SQL, but I am worried that that ArcMap might preform some other logic when creating a field I don't know about.

I have attached screen shots that demonstrate what I am talking about.

Thanks for your help,

Daniel

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GaryMorris2
New Contributor III

I would try opening the feature class in ArcMap instead of Catalog; open the attribute table and try to add the field using the options in the attribute table.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Enterprise geodatabase size and name limits (archived 10.3.1 link for reference)

Size limits

Most size limits in a database depend on the DBMS edition and hardware limitations. One exception is the number of fields (columns) supported in a table or feature class; the maximum number is 500. Be aware, though, that depending on the data types, the maximum number of columns in a table could be less than 500. Most database vendors do not recommend creating tables with over 200 columns of any data type.

This is the limitation. So if you are close to that many fields, you may be hitting the limitation.

0 Kudos
daniel__j
New Contributor II

Thanks for the info, however I'm no where near even 100 fields. I'll double check that the datatypes for each col are not too large. Edit: Yeah none of the 27 fields have large enough data types to make me think that the max number of fields would be truncated from 500 to 27.

0 Kudos
GaryMorris2
New Contributor III

I would try opening the feature class in ArcMap instead of Catalog; open the attribute table and try to add the field using the options in the attribute table.

daniel__j
New Contributor II

Yes, thank you! I did not know that I could add fields from the attribute table window. I knew I must be missing something simple. This is perfect!

GaryMorris2
New Contributor III

You're welcome!

0 Kudos