Adding Excel table to a layout page

01-18-2019 11:33 AM
ChrisSlinko1
New Contributor II

I'm trying to add an excel spreadsheet or .pdf to the layout page either or the data view.  Does anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Chris, 

You can import an Excel spreadsheet into ArcGIS Pro.  See Work with Microsoft Excel files in ArcGIS Pro—Excel | ArcGIS Desktop for more information.  Once you have the table in a map you can add the table to the layout by inserting a table frame. See Add and modify table frames—Layouts | ArcGIS Desktop

In ArcMap you could add object such as an Excel spreadsheet to a layout an an OLE object. This workflow is not supported in ArcGIS Pro. See 20039: OLE objects are not supported and were dropped from the layout—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop

Currently, there are no plans to support OLE (objects linked to MS applications) in ArcGIS Pro.  To support workflows that previously depended on OLE we are focusing on making improvements from within Pro. For example, we have added an improved table element and are working on improvements to formatting when using copy and paste into text elements from Microsoft Word.

Hope this helps,

Tom

0 Kudos
MichaelAugust
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Tom - so would each table in the above scenario be a separate Excel file?? Right now we use a single Excel worksheet to contain hundreds of boxes that describe analytical results for say 50 or so point locations on the map, these get pretty complicated with colors, italics, bold, etc. - our workflow and I'm sure for many others out there - was to open a formatted Excel worksheet and copy/paste these analyte boxes onto the layout view in ArcMap.

What would be your workflow solution for the same end product in Pro? I've attached an example here...I'd hate to think that we'd have to make a completely separate excel table or file for each of these boxes (there can be several hundred for us on a given figure set), then bring them into Pro, then format all of the tables in Pro on the layout individually, etc. - that's a lot more work than a single 5 sec. copy/paste onto a layout. Also none of our scientists work in Word vs. Excel so we're always going to get one large Excel worksheet containing multiple boxes, we need to get those boxes onto a map, splitting them into a hundred individual Excel files is unrealistic. 

I guess what I'm asking is how you would you, in Pro, display 30 Excel boxes like I've shown below on a map efficiently?  I'm reading thru the help and probably missing something, but it's just an example of one table with data from the living atlas, and it's pretty short on visuals.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Michael, 

Looks like you would import 1 table from excel into a map, insert a table frame into the layout and then format the pieces.  You would lose the formatting you had in excel.  We do plan on adding table frame template in the future to make this easier, but I don't know when we will get to it. 

Tom

0 Kudos
VladimirStojanovic
New Contributor III

More than two and a half years later... Tom, I'm sorry to have to say this, but in my opinion this is absolutely ridiculous . Please allow some irony, I understand, this is no AI, 3D, AR and all other buzz words ESRI (and whole world) like to brag around on conferences and in paper articles... how far technology came... but this, this is just putting tables into layouts... how endless boring...

Nobody cares. Sad.

Cheers

MehrdadZarei
New Contributor II

I top that also, More than 4 years later..... Tom, I'm sorry to have to say I am totally agree with Vladimir. This is absolutely ridiculous. I am fine if you want to make "Pro" the most sophisticated software in all know Galaxies but please for the sake of whatever keep the most basic things that we had in ArcMap in ArcGIS pro also. I don't have hours to spend on something that could literally takes seconds in ArcMap. I am in the situation as Michael was back in early 2019. Why on earth should your remove options that works perfectly for everyone? We have been ordered to migrate our project files form ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro. Let's say when I import an mxd file that contains many analytical tables on its layout into Pro, it works fine but now that I need to copy/paste new or updated tables form excel onto ArcGIS Pro I face several challenges. first of all formatting the pasted table (adding a border, adding a white background, reszing it) was so easy and fast in ArcMap and the pasted image of the table didn't point to any temp file or temp folder, the image is part of the document. now in Pro, adding border and background could take a bit of time and imagine we are dealing with many many tables, additionally it is pointing to a location and temp file. again additionally it happens that the table on the layout suddenly goes blank and whatever I do the content of the table won't show again, therefore I have to re-do the table once again!!!!!! I need the table get saved as part of the document also. Please someone from ESRI help.