Add item to legend which has been created from the layout

Jump to solution
04-14-2022 02:53 PM
nik_geo
New Contributor III

Hi, this question might be very basic but I am struggling for quite some time now to add 2 items to the legend. They are point symbols created in the layout (i.e. not with "add data"). I want to add those symbols to the legend and I simply can't! I tried drag n drop, while selected the legend in the layout I tried changing the map frame.. Nothing seems to work. In the attached images, you will see the name of my symbols (New Delhi and Mumbai) and the items shown in the actual legend. Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

Legend items can only be layers in the map. So you won't be able to add points you drew on the layout into the legend itself. You can add a smaller version of that graphic and the accompanying explanatory text below your legend. Or convert your legend to graphics and add the new graphics. If you want those points added as legend items though you'll need to create a feature class in the map for them.

Cheers,

Aubri 

Cheers,
Aubri

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

Legend items can only be layers in the map. So you won't be able to add points you drew on the layout into the legend itself. You can add a smaller version of that graphic and the accompanying explanatory text below your legend. Or convert your legend to graphics and add the new graphics. If you want those points added as legend items though you'll need to create a feature class in the map for them.

Cheers,

Aubri 

Cheers,
Aubri
nik_geo
New Contributor III

Thanks for the info

0 Kudos