Add Attachments using URL

06-06-2021 02:01 PM
Labels (1)
DavidLitke
Occasional Contributor

Can photos be added as attachments using the URL to online photos? The Add Attachment tool does not seem to recognize URLs as valid pathnames.

6 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Does adding the image(s) path as hyperlink work for you? Please check FAQ: Is it possible to add a hyperlink path to a field in ArcGIS Pro? .

Think Location
0 Kudos
DrVSSKiran
Occasional Contributor II

Hi David,

Yes, you can add photos as attachments using the URLs.

Here is the example. I have using an online photo URL to link in ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Online.

DrVSSKiran_0-1623045100600.png

Right-click the layer on the table of content and configure the popup (https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/navigation/configure-pop-ups.htm)

DrVSSKiran_1-1623045608747.png

DrVSSKiran_6-1623046865631.png

Once you configured the Popups you can visualize the photographs.

DrVSSKiran_5-1623046801882.png

PeterMacKenzie2

I think both of these solutions link the photo to the feature to a hyperlink but they don't answer the question about 'attaching' the photo to the feature as described here.

The only way I can think of is to create a python script to download the image locally into a folder and then run  arcpy.management.GeoTaggedPhotosToPoints GP tool. Possibly not efficient if you have many photos. 

0 Kudos
KellyArmstrong

David,

I have this same question, which the persons responding didn't answer.

I have a standalone table with a guid field to link back to features.  I also have a field with a url path.  It sure would be nice if I could run a tool and it would read the standalone table and create the attachments to the feature.  Seems simple but it doesn't exist, without coding...

0 Kudos
NeilPennanen_dnr
New Contributor II

I would also like to be able to attach photos via url. Did you find a way to accomplish this David? Any further developments on making this process any easier since this question was initially posted?

0 Kudos
Ade_Bruijn
New Contributor III

Hi David, did you find a solution? Trying to use add attachments for flickr. But get cannot open file error. The files are publicly shared.

0 Kudos