20041: Neatlines are not supported and were dropped from the layout

Jump to solution
10-12-2017 06:48 AM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I am trying to transition to Pro and I did an import of an mxd.  It didn't import my border (neatline) and so I was trying to figure out how to add it back in.  I stumbled across this bug or whatever it is called.  It has a workaround but not a very good one.  I am just wondering why neatlines are not supported in Pro.  I feel a nice border around a map makes it look more professional.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
17 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

...since the margins still also don't show up in layout view.

Just wanted to make sure that if you're referring to showing printer margins in a layout, that can be done as described here: Set up your layout—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Thanks Kory.  I must have missed that.  When did this get added?

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Josh - printer margins were added with the ArcGIS Pro 2.6 release July 2020.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

SO much was added in 2.6!   Check out https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas/blog/2020/07/28/ideas-in-arcgis-pro-26-a-large-gat...‌ which is just from ArcGIS Ideas.  Much more was added in addition to ideas (plus quality improvements like in every release).

Related: What's new in ArcGIS Pro 2.6—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Note that if you are on 2.6 there is an available patch, and I believe Patch 2 will be available later this week.  Always good to stay up to date on patches!

Cheers

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I have it set to check for updates.  Updating Pro is so much easier than updating ArcGIS Desktop.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
PegGronemeyer1
New Contributor III

I appreciate this tip - but it doesn't work if you have multiple map frames in a single layout.  I still don't understand why ESRI removed the neatline - the option to draw around all objects in the layout with a certain amount of space between the neatline and "all objects" made the neatline a quick and painless addition.  Why remove an option that works well in ArcMap?  The rectangle is doable, yes, but again, the neatline was easy and quick, the rectangle is not.

FelixMcCarthy01
New Contributor

Always learning something new!!  - Thanks

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I use a lot of layouts with multiple map frames too.  One thing I found that was pretty cool was that you can have irregularly shaped map frames.  In one instance I created the main map frame with a a rectangle chunk taken out of the frame and the other frame put in that place.  Still doesn't work like neatline  but is a cool feature.  Its been so long since I was able to use the neatline though that if I had the feature back, I probably wouldn't use it now.  My original post was from 5 years ago.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos