Select to view content in your preferred language

2.9.5 patch crashing when accessing OLE DB tables

10-25-2022 04:46 AM
arahman_mdmajid
Occasional Contributor

The process was working fine where we were useing MS Access DB (.accdb) by adding a OLE DB connection and then exporting the table to point features.onto the Map.

However, after applying the new patch 2.9.5, the process is causing ArcGIS Pro to crash. we are able to add the OLE DB connection and able to see the table in catalog pane, however when we are trying to drag and drop the table into the contents or trying to export it, the application is crashing.

Kindly look into the issue and let me know if you need further information to recreate the issue.

Abdur Rahman
GIS Developer
21 Replies
Czapiga_Jason
New Contributor II

I'm experiencing the same issue. please advise.

NeilFordyce
New Contributor III

Same problem here.. installed patch yesterday and now crashing on .accdb linked oledb data

Paul_Adamson
New Contributor

Yes, I'm got the same issue.
I can add an OLE DB Connection and it will list all the tables.
If, I attempt to add one into the project, then Pro immediately crashes.
I have logged a call with ESRI...

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Paul - great to hear you've logged a call to Esri Support Services - hopefully they are able to resolve this issue.  If you're interested in uninstalling the ArcGIS Pro 2.9.5 patch, you can very easily.  Go to your Control Panel, click Uninstall a program, top left is the phrase "View installed updates", click that.  Then you can click the ArcGIS Pro 2.9 Patch 5 (2.9.5) item and uninstall that.  Hopefully the crashes you're experiencing with the OLE DB connection workflow ceases.

0 Kudos
arahman_mdmajid
Occasional Contributor

Robert I am sure that you are already aware of the reason why 2.9.5 patch was released was to deal with a serious crash while modifying symbology, more details at this link

Simply uninstalling the same patch that has made version 2.9 stable isn't a permanent solution. Looking forward to a more permanent solution to the issue. 

Thanks

Abdur Rahman
GIS Developer
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, I was aware of the rationale behind the 2.9.5 patch - thank you!  Agree that a permanent solution needs to be created.  Currently this is BUG-000153421 - Adding a Microsoft Access Database table to a map from an OLE DB connection in ArcGIS Pro 2.9.5 causes the program to crash.  It's currently under review by the team.  The issue does not occur in versions prior to 2.9.5 and 3.0 and above.

arahman_mdmajid
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Robert for the prompt response and really appreciate the great effort you guys are putting into providing us the much needed support. 👍🏻👍🏻

Abdur Rahman
GIS Developer
DarinaTchountcheva
Occasional Contributor II

I a experiencing the same issue but with a SQL Server database. 

Can't open any projects that use .odc connection to a SQL Server database and cannot add any tables from such connection. 

We cannot move to 3.0 due to breaking functionality and we cannot uninstall the Patch 5 due to the Symbology crash. 

Is there a solution for this already?

Thank  you!

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Darina - with regard to BUG-000153421, I'm seeing that the Tech Review is complete and is "under consideration" for a fix.  As stated, this only occurs at ArcGIS Pro 2.9.5.  I understand the dilemma you're in with regard to 3.0 breaking functionality and the Patch 5 symbology crash fix.  One solution I can think of to get around the not able to open *.aprx's is on a separate machine, have just ArcGIS Pro 2.9.0 on that machine without any updates.  Open the *.aprx, remove the *.odc file in the Catalog Pane->Databases and save the *.aprx.  Then see if you can open the *.aprx using the ArcGIS Pro 2.9.5 machine.  Would that work?

0 Kudos