ArcGIS Pro is great

02-14-2023 08:12 AM
Labels (3)
pinurmato
New Contributor

I really don’t understand the hate. At the beginning of the pandemic I switched from ArcMap because the user sign-in option made switching between computers super convenient. The UI took a bit to get used to use, but overall I’m a fan. Categorizing projects has been a dream. Like setting up multiple maps and multiple layouts and a catalog tab in a single project is a dream come true. Packaging products and sharing everything makes sharing a one click process.

In my basic workflow experience, mapping has literally never been easier. The level of entry has lowered exponentially.

3 Replies
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

It's not really hate, it is just a change. Roughly 1/2 of everyone resists any change.

I still have trouble finding things but now when I have to help someone in ArcMap I can't find things there either. 🙂

Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

To be completely fair though, if you tried to jump over before around 2.something, there were things missing. When Esri is jumping up and down furiously promoting something you CAN'T USE to do your work, it makes people cynical.

In the web world, I have been in a holding pattern forever waiting for Experience Builder to "catch up". I really want to abandon the outdated Web App Builder. I expect in a few hours an Esri person might respond here with "Everything is ready to go! What is it you need?" so to head that off, we rely on the "Public Notification" widget.

I don't "hate" Esri software but they have taught me to ignore their vigorous entreaties and to evaluate carefully.

0 Kudos
Scoth
by
New Contributor III

I find python scripting to be incredibly glitchy with Pro. In the first couple of months using ArcPro I submitted 4 bugs to ESRI support for which they had no solution. In addition to real bugs, many of the geoprocessing tools have different behavior in GUI vs. standalone script vs. python window vs. toolbox.

Maybe GUI / Mapping stuff is better?

0 Kudos