Select to view content in your preferred language

1000 ArcGIS Pro Single Use licenses - recover licenses when wiping out Virtual Desktops

09-12-2023 07:05 AM
AntheaTung
Emerging Contributor

Hello Good Day,

We have 1000 ArcGIS Pro Single Use licenses that will be authorized on approximately 500 Virtual Desktops and users laptops. 

There is a process we have where we re-install ArcGIS Pro twice a year with newer versions on Virtual Desktops and users laptops.  

Is there a way to recover Pro Single Use licenses each time with newer Pro versions with a script instead of manually recovering each single use licenses in My ESRI ? 

Thank you

Anthea

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JackHardy
Esri Contributor

Hi @AntheaTung,

Unfortunately, there is no current way to script recovering lost licenses in My Esri.

There is an open My Esri Idea asking for a My Esri API, that I would recommend upvoting:

MyEsri API

Kind regards,

Jack

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If these are virtual desktops, why not deploy an ArcGIS License Manager on the same network as the machines hosting the desktops and use Concurrent Use licensing?  Are you simply uninstalling and re-installing ArcGIS Pro or are the desktops being completely rebuilt every 6 months?  If the former, the license will be usable after the new version of Pro is installed because the Single Use license is held by the local license service and not Pro application itself.

0 Kudos
AntheaTung
Emerging Contributor

Hi @JoshuaBixby  there is an existing slow network issue we are trying to resolve - this will take time. The single use license relieves some of the slowness issue.

0 Kudos
PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

If you are completely rebuilding things, then you can script deauthorizing the Pro Single Use license prior to the rebuild. To silently return all licenses for Pro and extensions from the command line (running as an Administrator):

"C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\SoftwareAuthorizationPro.exe" -return all /s

AntheaTung
Emerging Contributor

Hi @PeterKnoop  this could be the answer to my question. Will follow up in a few months when we do an upgrade of Pro and issue this command.   Thank you !

0 Kudos