000042: Failed to create the address locator.

01-12-2018 01:54 PM
MichaelOlsen1
New Contributor II

I am trying to evaluate the product for my organization. We want to create a mobile map to use with ArcGIS Navigator. I am ALWAYS getting this error when running the Create Address Locator tool. 

Executing Create Address Locator...
ERROR 000042: Failed to create the address locator.
Failed to execute (CreateAddressLocator).

Parameters
Address Locator Style General - Single Field
Reference Data latlong_fixed 'Primary Table'
Field Map 'Feature ID' Location VISIBLE NONE;*KeyField OID VISIBLE NONE;'Display X' lon VISIBLE NONE;'Display Y' Lat VISIBLE NONE;'Min X value for extent' <None> VISIBLE NONE;'Max X value for extent' <None> VISIBLE NONE;'Min Y value for extent' <None> VISIBLE NONE;'Max Y value for extent' <None> VISIBLE NONE;'Additional Field' ADDR_K1 VISIBLE NONE;'Altname JoinID' <None> VISIBLE NONE
Output Address Locator C:\Users\michaelolsen\Documents\ArcGIS\Projects\Test\latlong_fixed_CreateAddressL
Configuration keyword
Enable suggestions DISABLED

I have tried simplifying the project to the point of a single text file as my data source but it still fails. None of the online docs I have found have helped and I have spent a great deal of time looking. I was able to build a mobile package without the locator, but it never shows in Navigator and I am led to believe that is because it was missing the locator.

Help would be greatly appreciated! My only option at this point is to give up.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The error message is documented in help and it is pretty long list of things that can go wrong.

I presume that you have ruled out the first 3.

The last 2 suggest that you try a different geocoder as a test, or there is an error.  

I also don't understand the last line of the error message.

MichaelOlsen1
New Contributor II

Hi Dan.

Thanks for your reply. I have ruled out the first 3. The source file and destination directory are the local drive where the project is saved. Rights aren't an issue. There is plenty of space and the source file is simply a delimited txt file (although I have tried other sources). My source data is simply a attribute name with x and y coordinates so the other rules don't fit the scenario. I tried creating extra fields in the table to accommodate another rule, but I get the exact same error message. The above error is the only error I receive. 

Thanks again for your time.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

a sample of what you are working with might help.  It is hard to suggest further until the address and nature of the x and y's can be seen

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

You say that the source file is a .txt.  

Commonly used locator styles—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop "In addition to a feature ID field and SHAPE field, feature classes that you can use as reference data for the locator must have a specific field that contains the unique name or value for that feature. It is this field in the attribute table that is referenced when geocoding against the reference data."

If your source is just a .txt file, it doesn't have a Shape field.  I can repro the error when feeding the tool a txt source

Try converting your xy txt data to a point table first and then using that resulting table as input to the Create Address Locator tool:

EricAnderson17
Occasional Contributor

Just wanted to follow up on Kory's post and let you know that we created an internal enhancement request to provide better messaging when attempting to create an address locator with TXT's or other files that are not designed to be used as the Primary Table:

ENH-000110841: The Create Address Locator tool should give an error or warning when a user attempts to set the Primary Table of the Reference Data tool parameter to a file that has no geometry.

Thank you Michael Olsen for bringing this to our attention and our hope is that this enhancement will eliminate confusion like this in the future for you and others. 

All the best,

Eric

Esri Support Services

MichaelOlsen1
New Contributor II

Hi Kory.

Thanks for your help! Your information got me to the solution that helped me run it. My needs our quite simple. My original table had only 3 fields:

[Name] [Lat] [Long]

I was able to get it to run by adding the Shape and Feature ID field:

[FID] [Name] [Lat] [Long] [Shape]

I tried running the Create Locator with Feature ID = 'Name' and *Keyfield = 'FID' because I assumed the Keyfield required the unique value, but it was the opposite. You said as much- it just didn't sink in.

Thanks so much for your help! Now I can move on to testing the searching.

Michael.

MichaelOlsen1
New Contributor II

I neglected to mention something-

I tried to run the XY Table To Point tool from the toolbox and couldn't find it. I don't know if we are on different versions?? This is the list I see:

Is there an alternative I can use?

Thx!

Michael.

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

XY Table To Point is new at version 2.1. (The 2.1 web help is live as of today.) Until you have 2.1 software, I think you have to create a layer from XY Event Data. Then export the layer to a feature class.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Good catch.  Thank you, tormsby-esristaff‌.  

0 Kudos