Select to view content in your preferred language

Split on single vertex of polyline

08-31-2022 07:07 AM
Labels (1)
ThijsBriggeman_Tensing
New Contributor III

I would love to see an option to split a polyline on a selected vertex, without creating the 2 new lines in a different output database (fgdb, sde or whatever).

The tool "Split into COGO lines" does something similar but creats new line segments between all vertices, instead of just the one I need to split between. The tool "Split" requires you to draw a line over the polyline, and is therfore not that precise.

We are splitting water distribution lines on certain points in our Utility Network and this would be of great help for our drawing room.

5 Comments
jcarlson

The Split tool in the Modify Features pane does exactly this if you click directly on the vertex. It helps to have vertex snapping turned on, but you can split the line with a single click that is as precise as the vertex location.

ThijsBriggeman_Tensing

I see what you mean.

This is certainly not the most intuitive when you can't see the vertices you want to snap to, but this helps. Yes you can adjust the snapping tolerance, but this means you need to adjust the tolerance depending on how many vertices there are in your map view...

Would love to see the vertices when you select the line and then use the split tool...

splitting.png

jcarlson

@ThijsBriggeman_TensingHold down the T key to get a "snapping schematic" view that will symbolize all snappable elements.

AmirBar-Maor

@ThijsBriggeman_Tensing 

Did you consider using the geoprocessing tool 'Split Features'?

If you want to see the vertices you can:

1. Start creating a new feature and press down the T key 

AmirBarMaor_0-1661956673187.png

2. Create a layer that shows you the vertices. Toggle it on / off as needed. This is how you can create it in the symbology pane:

AmirBarMaor_1-1661956824723.png

Amir

ThijsBriggeman_Tensing

I stand corrected. Thanks everyone. You learn something new everyday 🙂

Pressing T does the trick.