Select to view content in your preferred language

Spatial joins - allow user to remove ALL fields from source

06-18-2024 01:51 PM
Labels (1)
wayfaringrob
Honored Contributor

The vast majority of the time, I have no use for any of the fields in my source data when doing a spatial join. I usually only want the count appended to my polygon feature.

However, even if I remove all source fields, they all appear in my output table. If I wanted them all, I would have left them all, so why do they show up after I go to the effort of removing them? If I leave just one, only that one transfers -- easier to do that and deal with having a random field than deal with the gunk that comes with joining a layer with dozens and dozens of extraneous fields.

wayfaringrob_0-1718743828406.png

My preference would be to not have to abide by this silly workaround.

2 Comments
SSWoodward
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Thanks for this Idea.  Could you let us know which geoprocessing tool you are using to complete this workflow?  Join Features or Spatial Join?

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Closed

Thank you for submitting this @wayfaringrob We are looking at this as a bug internally. 

When considering whether an issue should be submitted as an idea vs. a bug, if something is not working as expected or is generating an error, that may be a better candidate for a bug (I do realize that there is sometimes room for that to be a judgement call and we'll do our best to manage submissions accordingly). 

This is outlined in the ArcGIS Ideas Submission Guidelines and Statuses 

KoryKramer_0-1722008578792.png

Thank you for your engagement. We'll look into this one, but not as an idea to be voted on by the community.