Select to view content in your preferred language

Spatial join without creating a new feature class

03-07-2012 12:57 PM
Labels (1)
JakeKrall
Frequent Contributor

We used to be able to do a "spatial join without creating a new feature class" in AV 3.x.  This would be a most useful tool for everyday use it seems without creating useless feature classes that you have to go back and delete.

Esri, can't you bring this tool back from the archives for ArcGIS 10.1.x???

I would really like to see it added to the Toolbox!

34 Comments
KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

This is implemented in ArcGIS Pro 3.0 with the Add Spatial Join tool. See Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 3.0 for all of the other ideas you can look forward to in 3.0.

Also, be sure to check out the What's New documentation.

by Anonymous User

@KoryKramer I'm using 3.1.1. So...I'm going against hundreds of people here. But I always need a new feature class after I do the spatial join. So now I have to right click to Data - Export Features. Then I have to remember to go back and right click and Joins - Remove All Joins. I almost made several mistakes because I didn't remember I already had a join on certain feature classes. This is constant housekeeping in the application when it used to be a simple tool.

What is the best work around for me here? Any chance we can leave this functionality as a choice for the user in Settings somewhere in future releases?!

KoryKramer

If you always want a new, separate feature class, then you could run the Spatial Join tool.

The right-click option runs the Add Spatial Join tool which is the new tool, and creates the in-memory join. Coming in Pro 3.2 later this year a parameter will be added asking whether you want to permanently join those fields to the target. 

KoryKramer_0-1685141067571.png

Maybe that will work well for you? If not, run the Spatial Join tool to create an entirely new feature class.

KoryKramer