Save Active Portal in ArcGIS Pro Project

11-19-2018 07:04 AM
Labels (1)
TimothyMichael
Occasional Contributor II

I think it would be useful if the currently active portal were saved in an ArcGIS Pro project.  As a consultant working with many customers I have many portal connections saved (currently 12) in ArcGIS Pro.  Each time I open a project ArcGIS Pro reconnects to the most recently used connection, which is not necessarily related to the project that I am working on.  I have found this to be a small issue in a couple of ways:

• If the last portal connection was private (i.e. I was connected to a portal while on-site or over VPN) it takes some time for the connection to time-out and to be able to connect to a new portal
  • When trying to 'Switch Active Portal' in ArcGIS Pro, it can take a moment for the software to test each connection (I assume that's what it is doing) to determine if it's available or not, and to make the portal connections selectable based on connectivity.

Overall, I think it would be convenient if the active portal connection were saved with each ArcGIS Pro project.

5 Comments
JolandeKuyler__Admin_

Under your Current Settings you can set the default geodatabase, name, loaction etc. but not the default portal.

This will be a great enhancement as most users has more than one portal.

KoryKramer

Have you looked here Localized and silent install options—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation at the ArcGIS_Connection and Portal_List parameters?  The idea here is valid to have something in the UI, but maybe the silent install options would help.

Mike_Koutnik

It would also be REALLY useful, for some of the same reason @TimothyMichael describes, to add an option to switch portals in the ArcGIS Pro opening screen.  Their is plenty of white space where you choose which project to open to choose which portal you want to be signed into as you do that.

JonahLay

@Mike_Koutnik If you click Settings, then click on Portals, you can change your Active Portal from the portal list. Once you do this, any project you open will have that portal as active.

SusanTran
Status changed to: Closed

@TimothyMichael, it has been some time since your original post, but I wanted to point out some changes to portal connections that went in at Pro 2.8. 

The portal connection list now uses lazy-loading, that is, the connectivity of each portal is delayed until the portal is set as active. This should speed up how long it takes to switch your active portal. We believe this should alleviate the symptoms mentioned above.

Please feel free to message me directly if you have further concerns in this area. Thanks for sharing your idea.