Select to view content in your preferred language

Relate in both directions

08-22-2024 09:04 AM
Labels (1)
GelcysWilliams
Regular Contributor

In Desktop, when you set up a Relate between tables, it worked in both directions. 

In Pro, when you set up a relationship, it only works in one direction.  It is not a huge deal, but an annoyance to have to create a relate from table A to table B, and then  have to recreate a relationship from table B to table A. 

When I receive a table from someone to use in a join, I like to confirm the cardinality, if there are duplicate values, and if all records will have a match by using relates:

1. Create a relate between the tables.

2. Select all the records in the table I am exploring, note the count of records.

3. Hit related records, to have the related table pop up with related records selected.  Note the count of records.

4. Hit show related records in the original table to see if the count is less than the first time.  ***Nothing further was needed to do this step in Desktop.  Now in Pro, you need to create the relationship back to the original table***

in one and see related records in the other table and visa versa...

I hope there's a good reason that I'm overlooking for this "feature change" aka reduction in functionality??

7 Comments
SSWoodward
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Thanks for this Idea @GelcysWilliams  can you help clarify so I can reproduce and get a better understanding of this idea, are you using relates here, or relationship classes?

AlfredBaldenweck

Hi @SSWoodward 

This is a problem with Relates, for me.

In the attached gif, I demonstrate how in a 1:M relate, you can view related records from the origin table, but you can't do the same in reverse from the destination table.

This is not a problem with a relationship class.

RelateMto1_Doesntwork.gif

I can't find the post, but I asked about this a few years back and was told something like "M:1 relationships don't exist" or something.

EDIT: Found it Getting Relationship classes to work backwards whi... - Esri Community

SSWoodward
Status changed to: Open

GelcysWilliams
No Relationship Class. Relates in a map in Pro - between a geodatabase layer's table and a table that came from Excel, that I've imported into the project's geodatabase. Steps to recreate are above.
GelcysWilliams

@AlfredBaldenweck 

Well that is crazy talk, but yes, that is the problem I am having.  I haven't checked to see if it is a problem in a one-to-one relationship, but it wasn't an issue in ArcGIS Desktop.

AlfredBaldenweck

Can confirm this is the case in 1:1 relates as well.

1to1relate.gif

GelcysWilliams

@AlfredBaldenweck Thank you for confirming it doesn't work for any kind of relationship.  It worked for all kinds in Desktop. 

Is there a good reason for this not to work anymore?  Otherwise, how do we get this reported as a bug?