Select to view content in your preferred language

Register view with geodatabase — Import extents from feature class

12-11-2023 01:38 PM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.6.8; Oracle 18c 10.7.1 EGDB:

Often, database views that are not registered with the geodatabase have issues in ArcGIS Pro. Examples:

• Esri Case 3308236 Use Explore tool on mobile and file GDB spatial views
    BUG-000156931 - Unable to select features using the Explore or selection tool from a view in a mobile geodatabase in ArcGIS Pro.
  • Esri Case 03490768 - Database view on feature with nil geometry hangs when added to map
  • Other issues, such as when selecting features from a database view in the map or in the attribute table.

The solution is to register the view with the geodatabase.

Bud_0-1702309410027.png

However, registering views with the geodatabase is a cumbersome process, especially if we need to frequently replace a view due to a DDL change like adding or removing a field from the view. Related idea: Unregister with Geodatabase GP Tool

One thing that's particularly clunky is: setting the extents when registering a view.

Rather than manually enter the extents by copy/pasting from elsewhere, could we have the option of importing the extents from an existing FC? For example, use a boundary FC that is a polygon that surrounds our subject area; we'd never have features outside that boundary. 

2 Comments
Bud
by

While setting the extents seems to be optional (can be left blank), there are cases where it is beneficial to explicitly define the extents to the maximum future extents. That way, I know I can add features to the underlying FC after the view was registered, and still be sure that the extents are correct/contain the features. Otherwise, if left blank, the extents get auto-calculated based on the extents of the existing features when the view was registered, which might cause problems when future features get added to the FC that are outside the initial area.

MErikReedAugusta

For the extent issue, I just saw this posted earlier:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-videos/extent-control-arcgis-pro-3-2/m-p/1359362#M141

There's a new release in 3.2 that allows for extents designated as an Environment variable, and they seem fairly robust from the display, though I don't have 3.2 to test it, yet.