Read Only attribute inside Geodatabase

07-16-2014 06:43 PM
Labels (1)
AdamForknall
Occasional Contributor III
It would be nice to be able to set certain feature datasets, feature classes, tables or rasters inse a Geodatabase as Read Only to prevent modification, without the need for using an enterprise GDB/arcSDE with user permissions etc. Just a local implementation, similar to the Read Only and Hidden attributes which can be set on a file within Windows.
3 Comments
DuncanHornby
For what it's worth you can make a field read only when the dataset is loaded into ArcMap by going to the layer properties > field tab.  So if you supply your datasets to others as layerfiles they won't be able to edit those fields. Bit of a fudge...
MarkVolz

Duncan,

I agree that it is useful that we can set read only within ArcMAP.  However, I think this would be an important addition to the dataset itself as people often use the same data within multiple projects. 

ESRI,

This feature would be useful to flag fields that derived from other fields such as a concatenation of other fields.  I don't know what forknuts original intention was for this idea, but I imagine it could be used so fields could only be changed by geoprocessing scripts or the attribute assistant.

In addition, I think it would be useful to add "visible by default" and "highlight by default" as well.

Thanks

SSWoodward
Status changed to: Closed

This idea has been closed as a duplicate of the Data Management Idea linked below. You can still show your support by commenting and adding kudos to the open idea. Thanks for your contributions!

Link to duplicate Data Management Idea