Select to view content in your preferred language

Prevent view with duplicate IDs from being added to map

07-11-2023 01:19 PM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

Regarding: Error Opening Table in Pro - "Failed to retrieve a page of rows"

Could functionality be added so that a view can't be added to the map if it has duplicate IDs?

That would be slightly different from this idea: Check for duplicate IDs when creating query layer or registering view with GDB. It's one thing to prevent a view/query with duplicates from being created or registered with the GDB. That might help at the time of creation. But what if the data changes and there are now duplicates afterwards? So I'm wondering if Pro could prevent an existing view from being added to the map if it has duplicate IDs.

I know the tradeoff might be: Checking for duplicates can be computationally intensive. But the data has to be retrieved in order to display it in the map anyway. Why not do a quick unique ID check on the already retrieved data -- before drawing the features in the map? Or something similar.
I ask because duplicate IDs in queries/views cause a LOT of grief to ArcGIS Pro users. While we do get an error from the dups (in some cases) when navigating in the attribute table, I'm wondering if the error should happen sooner. As in, don't let the user use the query layer at all.

Note: Duplicate IDs cause problems in the map too, not just in the attribute table. Sometimes certain features can't be selected or the Explore/Identify tool doesn't work on certain features due to duplicate ID problems. So that's why I think the error message in the attribute table pops up too late. I don't want to use the layer at all if it has duplicate IDs.

Related: