Select to view content in your preferred language

Make "keep previous selection and/or field calculation" an option

08-23-2022 03:15 PM
Labels (1)
JohannaKraus2
Occasional Contributor

PRO 3.0 implemented the user suggestion to keep the previous selection and field calculations when you open a new window (https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/keep-previous-select-by-attributes-in/idi-p/939641).  While this is useful for some, it can also be cumbersome when a user needs a completely different select or field calculation (especially if it is a field calculation for a different field).  

It would be great to have the option to turn this off under Project - Options.

6 Comments
KoryKramer

Thank you for submitting this idea, @JohannaKraus2 I know that this isn't what your idea is asking for (i.e. it isn't an option to fully disable the behavior) for now, you can use the clear or remove functionality in those dialogs to easily remove the expression and start from scratch. I just wanted to make sure that you and others looking at this idea are aware of that functionality to help you today while we gauge demand for this functionality. Thank you!

ClearExpression.gif

 EDIT: and adding this thread which is where the conversation originated: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-ideas-blog/ideas-in-arcgis-pro-3-0/bc-p/1205611/highlight/true#... 

JohannaKraus2

@KoryKramer Good to mention this!  Thanks.

MichelleWilliamsERM

I've field calculated thousands of records because of this issue.  

@Esri, we should not have to disengage a TOOL once it is finished. (I also included a video with this bug report, videos are the best way)

Hello Esri Service Desk ---- Esri Case #02904692

I found where this bug is; please reopen the case.

Open ArcGIS Pro | Add a Hosted Service (mine is Survey123) | Add Join to a CSV matching a small subset of the Hosted Service (approx. 100) and view the matches.

Calculate field, all 100 (run and leave tool open)

Highlight a new selection of 50 records

Calculate field (will recalculate the previous 100)

The workaround is to close the Calculate Field tool after each calculation (@Esri, can you do this in version 2.x? 

But as a seasoned user, I missed knowing the workaround, and having silent workarounds isn’t the way to keep users sane. I'm still finding data that I calculated over at some point, which makes me crazy.

Update: Esri said they'd fix it in 3.0, but my work computer isn't ready for the upgrade so it might be fixed. 

~Michelle Survey123 Jedi 

Have a spatial day

JohannaKraus2

@KoryKramer  I have found another issue with retain the previous field calculations.  I have two fcs in a file gdb and have joined them - I calculated the "compare_notes" field and closed the window.  I right clicked on the "Pima_addr" field to open the field calculator and when it opens the field is still set to "compare_notes."  I haven't noticed this before so I think it might just be when you join tables, but I'll test a bit more and submit it as a bug.

JohannaKraus2_0-1664484574073.png

MatthewMayfield

I'd also love to have an option for each of these. I don't like having my previous field calculation value populated in a new window, but I actually do prefer having the previous selection auto-filled.

feralcatcolonist_old

I more frequently need to make something new than do something I just did. If it's an option that can be turned on/off, please let the user decide when that on/off is appropriate.