Select to view content in your preferred language

Make Editing (Among other processes) Less Clunky and Time Consuming

10-12-2022 07:24 AM
Labels (1)
hherrmann_coj
Occasional Contributor

Editing is so much more clunky in Pro than in Desktop.  To edit, I have to make sure I'm on the edit tab, clicking at the top of my screen.  Then have to click create, then have to click over on the right side of the screen to select the layer I want to edit, then I have to select what kind of feature to select, and then if I want to change the type of feature, I have to click on the bottom of my screen.  I feel like ESRI focuses more on making Pro look "pretty", than they do functionality and speed.  As a CAD person for much of my career, when I'm digitizing data, I want to be able to be quick.  Most of us use large monitors and having to click all over the place to complete simple tasks takes up far more time in Pro than in Desktop and is counter productive, particularly when just trying to digitize simple data.

As you can see in the screenshot below, that's a LOT of clicking. 

32 Comments
KoryKramer
Status changed to: Open

Thank you for the thorough review and thoughtful response, @JenniferCadkin 

As noted, this started as an idea primarily about editing efficiency, and throughout the comments, there are a number of references to toolbars. We are actively researching customizable toolbars or something similar for ArcGIS Pro. @hherrmann_coj @JasonDugas @RoseF If you are interested, you can download and try out this add-in https://esriinc.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=839ef722795b46abae10e6acf4fba356 It is a prototype for custom toolbars as well as custom pane configurations. ( @wayfaringrob has already tried this and provided feedback that we have documented). Please try the add-in for your editing workflows and let us know how it works for you and what you would like to see added to make it work better - you can email me at kkramer@esri.com 

Thank you

AndreaB_

@KoryKramer  "Status changed to: Open" thank you!!

I would give you and @JenniferCadkin a Kudos. and the prototype sounds promising. 

(sidenote for anyone reading all of the comments on this Idea - I am the 'Anonymous User' on page 2 from 2022. It's so sad that I lost my old user name and all of my hard earned badges and credit for Ideas and posts I have out there. 😐 I suppose it doesn't matter)