Keep Previous Select by Attributes in Geoprocessing Window

11-05-2019 06:52 AM
Labels (1)
PeteJordan
Occasional Contributor III

It ArcMap, when you did a Select by Attributes, it would always keep that last query you used so that you could always go back and reuse or modify it.  Arc Pro I noticed as soon as you close the Geoprocessing pane, it deletes any query you had just run.

Maybe even have a toggle to turn on save current query in history or something temporarily until you exit Pro.  I know you can "Save" the query, but this is more a temporary thing in your current project rather than having to actually have a temporary query on the hard drive that you might only need to use a couple of times, but need the space on the monitor for the map and not have the Geoprocessing pane take up too much room...

24 Comments
jakek
by

@KoryKramer   Just noticed this works well when layer is outside of a group layer, but add it or move it to a grouped layer it does not always keep the last query or does not retain it at all.  Have you seen or noticed this behavior?

DrewFlater

Hi @jakek I just tried to reproduce what you described in ArcGIS Pro 3.2 and could not. Can you review the steps and see how it might be different for you? 

1. Add a layer to a map, for me called "Streets"
  2. Click the Select By Attributes button in the Map ribbon to open that window. Specify an Expression of ObjectID is equal to 1. Click OK to run the tool and get the single feature selected. 
  3. Add a new group layer to the map, for me called "test"
  4. Move the layer "Streets" into the group layer "test". 
  5. Click the "Streets" layer in the group layer in Contents to select it. The Select By Attributes window opens with the layer selected in Contents specified as the Input Layer, and it is the history of the last expression applied to that selected layer that enables this feature. So if you do not have a layer selected, the Expression will be empty when you reopen Select By Attributes.
  6. The  Input Rows parameter should be set to the "test\Streets" layer, which is the Streets layer in the test group. The Expression of ObjectID is equal to 1 should be recalled. 
jakek
by

@DrewFlater  I retested with a new Pro project.  The behavior did not change for me.  I used OID = 1 and then used another selection using "fixture number" is equal to 1002 from the dropdown pick list.  Repeated it and it reverted back to OID is equal to 1.  I also had the table open and clicked select by attributes in the table and OID = 1 returned.  Making sure each time the correct layer was highlighted or selected in the TOC.  1st image OID=1. 2nd image is what I switched to and expected to see on opening it again, but get OID =1.  Remove layer from group and all is well again.

Attribute selection by OID 1.jpg Attribute selection by FID 1002.jpg

MizukiKayano2

@DrewFlater 
I can reproduce this in 3.2.0.

1. Create a group layer
  2. Add data to the group layer
  3. Perform a select by attribute
  4. Close the select by attribute window
  5. Reopen the select by attribute window, the query is empty