Include ArcGIS Desktop 10.x styles with ArcGIS Pro

12-30-2020 07:59 AM
Labels (1)
Matt_Trebesch
New Contributor III

We all know that if we want to use ArcGIS Desktop 10.x styles with ArcGIS Pro, we must import them into our Pro project as an imported style.  

Pro also has a limited number of native styles in contrast to what Desktop has available.

It's one more step for map creation in ArcGIS Pro, when you want to use a symbology from a style that was available in ArcMap (ArcGIS Desktop 10.x) 

Many users, such as myself, rely on those Desktop styles to author maps and it's perplexing why so many styles were made available in one platform, but not another.

Further, if the effort is to win the hearts and minds of seasoned Desktop users to convert to Pro, it would seem logical to make sure the styles and symbologies that are available in ArcMap are natively accessible in ArcGIS Pro. 

One day, we won't need  to install ArcGIS Desktop because Pro has all the functionality we need, hopefully?  Migrating the existing styles from ArcGIS Desktop to ArcGIS Pro would help that transition!

Tags (3)
12 Comments
KoryKramer

Hi @Matt_Trebesch I asked this over on https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/styles-in-desktop-10-x-not-in-arcgis-pro/m-p/1012... but figured I could cross-post on this idea thread:

At ArcGIS Pro 2.6, custom styles (which would include any style imported from ArcMap) can be added to project favorites.

See https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.6/help/projects/project-favorites.htm 

This means that they can be managed like other Favorites - you can decide whether you want a style to be added to all new projects, or just have it available as a favorite that can be added to projects and used as needed.  

Are you already saving your converted ArcMap styles as Favorites and marking them as 'Add To New Projects'?

KoryKramer_1-1609432193556.png

Matt_Trebesch

I'm not converting my ArcMap styles as Favorites yet. I will give that a shot.

But, I'll still stand by the idea that one day, both products will not be installed.   One day it will ONLY be Pro.   What happens to the ArcMap/Desktop styles then? 

I think to enrich ArcGIS Pro, converting/adding however these styles from ArcGIS Desktop during ArcGIS Pro installation would be ideal.  

RichardDaniels

Once solution would be for ESRI to publish the styles for Pro to AGOL and have them available 'from the web' similar to how you can get images from Microsoft Word (Insert ribbon, Pictures group, Stock Images) . This would be connected on the Appearance Ribbon tab | Drawing Group, Import Symbiology.

KatieSteele

It would be awesome if ArcGIS Pro had the same symbols available as ArcMap. 

examples: hydrants, fire stations, traffic lights. 

A lot of what seems to be offered in the symbol gallery are 3D Scenes, which is not ideal, especially for data we have to ship off to a vendor as a map package. 

KatieSteele_0-1625158757946.png

KatieSteele_1-1625158770585.png

JohannaKraus2

@KoryKramer A few months back I remember I was easily able to add a whole symbol set from arcmap styles into pro (did I dream this up?), and now I have to go through a process of saving a style in arcmap and that add it into Pro?  If I have arcmap and pro installed, can't I just add a symbol set from arcmap?

KoryKramer

Hi @JohannaKraus2 Yes, if you have ArcMap on the same machine (or really if you just have the ArcMap styles handy) you can import them: 

KoryKramer_0-1628878499004.pngKoryKramer_1-1628878590746.png

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/projects/styles.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_2D13B0FBB19D49BC9296...

JohannaKraus2
**Notice – My email has changed to JKraus@nwfdaz.gov​, effective May 3, 2021. Please update your contact information. – Thank you!**
Kory - Thank you! This is what I was looking for but couldn't find. Much appreciated.
KoryKramer

You're welcome!

RichardDaniels

The solutions described work if you are (1) have ArcMap installed on the machine and (2) are an expert ArcGIS Desktop user that has full knowledge of how the disk folders are arranged within the ArcGIS Desktop install folder at C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.7\Styles or similar.  None of which are good assumptions as we move forward into the world of virtual desktops and Pro only.  

ESRI should take a few minutes and just convert all the 2D styles to the new stylex format and include them with the application as an optional install or deliver them through a AGOL connection along with a custom style picker  tool that could be a 'add-on'  button to the Layout Ribbon.

JohannaKraus2

@RichardDaniels This would be great.  There needs to be an easy way to get styles developed into arcmap.