Improve SQL Expression Builder

11-21-2018 07:52 AM
Labels (1)
MarcDyke2
New Contributor II

The existing SQL expression builder in ArcGIS Pro is very ponderous to use, especially for people familiar with SQL. Building one expression takes multiple mouse clicks which slows down the process. Unfortunately the 'Edit SQL mode' does not list fields and functions as it did in previous versions of ArcGIS.

Ms suggestions for improvements are:

1. create an SQL expression builder similar to that which exists for the Label Class expression builder (and existed in previous versions of ArcGIS). It shows the fields that are available and some functions but the user is still free to type in the expression directly.
  2. if a layer or table is selected in the contents window then make that the target of the expression when the tool launches.
  3. enable select by attributes in a context menu on table windows and on layers and tables in the contents window.
3 Comments
KoryKramer

Thank you for submitting this (these) ideas, Marc Dyke‌.

3. Please go to Add Select by Attributes Tool to Attribute Table in ArcGIS Pro to add your vote and comments.

if a layer or table is selected in the contents window then make that the target of the expression when the tool launches.

Don't we already do this?

1. So you just want to be able to see a list of fields and some functions like

as opposed to typing directly in the SQL box and using the intellisense, right?

MarcDyke2

For number 3, upvoted, thanks.

Ok, you got me on number 2 (I don't know why that wasn't the behavior I was seeing before).

For number 1, yes that is correct. I find the intellisense distracting and it does not provide any visual clues for field names and the like until you have already started typing. If the intelisense was enabled along with the list of fields and functions that would be fine but I would prefer to have the option to turn it off altogether.

KoryKramer

Thanks