Select to view content in your preferred language

Improve Join Validation speed and display

02-14-2024 01:55 PM
Labels (1)
B_Brooks
New Contributor III

The table join validation menu is somewhat antiquated. The number one stat anyone wants to see is the last three lines, join cardinality, matched records, and input and table record counts. I know this is a GP tool, but if we could replace it with something more built in, with better controls. that would be amazing.
For example. One of the biggest reasons why a join doesn't work is because of a type mismatch. An int vs a double, or an int vs a text field. Why does it even allow me to select a mismatch. If I select the input field, it should restrict the options in the join table to those that match the type. Or even better, allow it to change type on the fly. treat a text field as an int or vice versa. Is it possible to have indexing turned on automatically. Is there any way to create index files for tables outside a GDB? Somewhat like the schema.ini file?

Similarly, cardinality is always 1-1 unless the join table has unique OIDs. Either correct this limitation or again, specify from the outset that because the join table doesn't have an OID it cannot have a one to many join. Make that clear as soon as the table is selected, so it is clear that ONLY a 1-1 join is available, etc.

Highlight the main three rows data points from the get go. Show the results clearly - cardinality, matches, and record counts. If matches, and record counts all match, have the background green. If there is a mismatch between join count and input table count, but all join records match, have the matches green, the input table count  yellow and the  join table count half yellow half green.