Geocoding that returns true shapes not just centroids

12-14-2016 12:59 PM
Labels (1)
LarryPhelps1
New Contributor II

We need the ability to return true shape of reference objects when geocoding like state or county boundaries, it doesn't make sense that a free add-on like maps for office can do this but our high end desktop and server tools cannot.

Tags (2)
4 Comments
MikeLouwrens

When an address locator is built from a polygon layer, any geocoding is done based on the polygon's centroid, rather than its actual shape.  That means that if you click the address inspector (or some other reverse geocoder) inside a polygon but closer to the centroid of a different polygon, it will return the address of that different polygon.  It would be better if it returned the address of the polygon you clicked in (or the nearest polygon to where you click outside of any features - rather than the nearest centroid).

0EM30000000D0Xz
The address inspector gets the address of the polygon I click in

0EM30000000D0Y4
The address inspector gets the address of the nearest polygon centroid, even though I clicked within my selected polygon

0EM30000000D0Y9
The address inspector gets the address of the nearest polygon centroid, even though I clicked within my selected polygon

BruceHarold

Thanks for the idea Larry.  One issue in implementing this is that geocoding can be disconnected from map scale; one approach you could take is making sure to supply a reference data ID field when creating a locator and setting the property to return it, then using the ID to retrieve a 2D feature from a feature service by querying the ID.

AkakpoAgbago

This functionality is needed.

As a Solution Engineer in Sales, I have been asked about this capability by customers at least 3 times already. The latest one, as of today, is a freshly won-over customer from MapInfo and they seem to have had that functionality before but now cannot easily get it. This should be looked into please. Thanks.

KalSsin

Dear Community,

I am currently working on "Locator".
However, I am unable to apply a locate function that automatically is seen polyline or polygon.

When I search for a hiking course, I hope it looks like a polyline.

When I search for an area, I hope that area looks like a polygon.

로케아이디어.png

I would highly appreciate some ideas and inputs.

Many thanks in advance.