Export Maps Based on Time Interval or Attribute

11-14-2013 09:58 AM
LeeDavis1
Occasional Contributor
A time enabled map works similarly to data driven pages in that the view of the data frame changes based on an index (page or time). But there's no option to automatically export individual pages for each time step interval.

I would like the ability to set time enabled data and export individual pages for each time interval like data driven pages.

I was working on a project where I created a time phased build out of a large infrastructure project over 15 years and used the time slider to show the development. I had to export each year as a separate PDF manually. I then converted PDF to JPG and created a nice animation GIF. If I had 100 time intervals this wouldnt have worked at all. It would be great to have an extra option to export GIF file of animation in addition to AVI video.

This actually would be a feature add on for Data Driven Pages. It is simply the ability to add a common attribute to multiple layers and export individual pages based on that attribute. So that you can create and export variations of the data display from a single MXD. For instance if I have various different options for a powerline route.

2 Comments
TopMap
by
This is a great idea when you work with time aware data! Please, please add this funcionality!
JssrRR
by
I have exported pages as sequential images (jpeg or png) for each time stamp in a time enabled layer.I am using ArcGIS 10.2 and when you use export function on the time slider or animation tool bar, it gives you two choices, AVI and Sequential Images and when you pick Sequential Images, an image for each time interval is exported and all sent to a folder, just like data driven pages. I had about 15 or more  images exported out as sequential images,and then I used these to convert to  make a video using Raster to video tool from the ArcTool box.