Select to view content in your preferred language

Export Layout - browse box - double click existing file to commit, not enter the file

06-28-2024 01:08 PM
Labels (1)
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor II

Right now if you go to export a layout over an existing file, you encounter a problem. Let's say it's a .png. If you click the yellow folder to find the PNG you're looking for and double click the PNG, it should select and OK the selection. Instead, it ... opens the PNG. You're inside the PNG in the browse box, and it says 'this container is empty.' This runs counter to almost every other application under the sun; PNGs are not conventionally conceived of as a container, especially in the context of exporting. Further, if you click OK at that point, you get an error when you export.

The ask here is to just select and OK when you double click an existing file, as is convention.

4 Comments
KoryKramer
Status changed to: Closed

Thank you for submitting this @wayfaringrob Because the workflow you're describing creates an invalid path and then generates an error when you try to export, we are looking at this as a bug internally. 

When considering whether an issue should be submitted as an idea vs. a bug, if something is not working as expected or is generating an error, that may be a better candidate for a bug (I do realize that there is sometimes room for that to be a judgement call and we'll do our best to manage submissions accordingly). 

This is outlined in the ArcGIS Ideas Submission Guidelines and Statuses 

KoryKramer_0-1721840069160.png

Thank you for your engagement. We'll look into this one, but not as an idea to be voted on by the community.

wayfaringrob

@KoryKramer  I don't have my esri access anymore and can't report bugs that way; in the past I have also found that process much more cumbersome and wasteful of my time than it needs to be. Until there's an easier way to report bugs, I don't have much of a choice but to assume it's a consciously created "feature" (as I am often told it is).

KoryKramer

Does this not work for you? https://support.esri.com/en-us/contact

KoryKramer_0-1721852874977.png

wayfaringrob

@KoryKramer  hm, well, I wasn't aware of that. When I did have my esri, that link would just redirect to open a tech support case. This does seem useful--something that even those with my esri should be able to use. Thanks for the pointer.