ENC - S-57

10-29-2019 12:16 PM
Labels (1)
MarcelSt-Germain
Occasional Contributor III

In arcmap we can view ENC S-57 format.  

Do de same in Pro.  Waiting for the S-100 is not a choice for us since now, and for many years, S-57 stay in place.

Having to maintain arcmap just for that is not easy.

67 Comments
TomDePuyt

Hi Marcel,

Are you referring to the free S-57 Viewer add-on in ArcMap?  If so, then yes, that experience is currently under development in ArcGIS Pro.    

If you were using ArcGIS Maritime to view your S-57 ENC data, then that is also available in ArcGIS Pro 2.6.  With ArcGIS Pro 2.6 we have begun to migrate our ArcMap S-57 workflows into ArcGIS Pro.  

Thanks,

Tom

MarcelSt-Germain

So the viewer will be on 2.6 release?

KoryKramer

Marcel, are you looking for the add-on that Tom referred to, or are you using ArcGIS Maritime?  The documentation just updated today to ArcGIS Pro 2.6 (as the release date is tomorrow) so you can see What's new in ArcGIS Pro 2.6—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation .  Ctrl+F 'S-57' to see the tools added in this release.

Please still confirm though if it is the viewer that you are specifically looking for.  Thank you!

MarcelSt-Germain

Not arcgis maritime.  Just the add-on viewer.

MarcelSt-Germain

Have to wait.  The 2.6 pages are not there for now in french so...

TomDePuyt

The viewer add-on is planned for a future release of ArcGIS Pro.  The ArcGIS Pro 2.6 release reference is only for ArcGIS Maritime. 

MarcelSt-Germain

Esri whant us to move to Pro but still available feature lacking in Pro.  So, two projects to works with each time arcmap and Pro.  

Mike_Espey

Hello all,

I would second Marcel's request. NOAA/NGS/RSD personnel have relied on the free S-57 Viewer in ArcMap for a while now, and the options in Pro for viewing ENC data just don't seem to be nearly as streamlined and easy to use. We would love to see the viewer available in Pro, in fact I think it would be a big help to us in our migration from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro. 

GuyNoll

Hi Mike,

Can you explain your desired functionality (easy to use) and specifically what the Viewer does that you cannot do with, for example, the free app ArcGIS Earth using imagery layers with NOAA's ENC On Line public web map feed?  https://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/ENCOnline/enconline.html is the link to the web viewer maintained by NOAA Coast Survey. 

Here's a screen grab of the Gulf of Esquibel in SE Alaska I just put together in ArcGIS Earth using above plus the available World Imagery service, both with some transparency:

GuyNoll_0-1617036842399.png

Thanks,

Guy

Mike_Espey

Hello Guy, 

Thanks for the response. Desired functionality = load .000 files and render symbolized ENCs in conjunction with the rest of ArcMap's capabilities, to include loading internally produced aerial orthos and/or orthorectified satellite images from DigitalGlobe, shapefiles of previous projects, maybe other data layers as well, and compiling new vector data against the backdrop of ENCs and imagery. The S-57 Viewer in ArcMap is very streamlined and easy to use with all the data we're already working with. When we switch our workflows from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro, I would think having this viewer capability would make the switch a little easier for us. I don't think having to use a separate app to view ENCs would be a workable solution for us.