Select to view content in your preferred language

Enable selecting levels to use in Composite Address Locator

03-02-2023 01:26 PM
Labels (1)
JohnNergeBrooklynPark
Occasional Contributor II

Idea
Make it possible when using Geocoding tools in ArcGIS Pro to choose which level(s) of a composite address locator you want to run for your batch geocode. I envision this being something like a listbox that shows the participating address locators where they're all checked/selected by default, but it gives the user the option to uncheck any they don't want to use. Ultimately, the idea would be to customize how a composite locator that contains multiple levels (address, street, ZIP centroid, etc.) performs on an on-demand basis.

Alternative idea
I'm not super familiar with new enhancements in geocoding in ArcGIS Pro, so if there's a replacement for the composite address locator that can do the same thing (i.e. include multiple levels of geocoding in a single locator) then the functionality could be added there.

Use case
My local county publishes a great composite address locator for public use. It includes multiple levels and sources of both address-level and street-level geocoders. However, there are times when we're geocoding at the local level that we need to require address-level matches only. Mainly this is to ensure the geocoded point ends up inside of a parcel boundary.

To make this happen, we have to create and publish our own copy of the county's address points for that specific use. Then we have to educate our users on which geocoding service to use. This idea would eliminate the need for a locally hosted version and would make the composite version way more powerful.

13 Comments
JohnNergeBrooklynPark

Are there also any requirements for the service? I'm at 3.2.2, and while I can see the category field, it's just blank, i.e. no dropdown options.

Geocode Address 3.2.2.jpg

ShanaBritt

@JohnNergeBrooklynPark Yes, there are server requirements. The composite needs to be published to Enterprise 11.2 or later in order for the category parameter to not show as a blank field. The other option is to have the County create a multirole locator, but that may not be possible given the participating locators in the composite. They may need to merge some layers together to be able to build a multirole locator. If you can find out what roles the following locators are using I could confirm if the data needs to be modified.

"locators": [
  {"name": "HC_POINTS_ADD"},
  {"name": "METRO_POINTS"},
  {"name": "HC_CENT_THEOR"},
  {"name": "METRO_CENT_CTU"},
  {"name": "METRO_CENT_POS"},
  {"name": "ECNdata"},
  {"name": "HC_PARCEL_PID"},
  {"name": "HC_POINTS_PID"}

JohnNergeBrooklynPark

Okay, well that's good to know, thanks for the follow up!