Select to view content in your preferred language

“Edit Metadata” privilege

08-31-2010 08:17 AM
Labels (1)
LeoForetich_Jr
Occasional Contributor

The only way to allow someone to edit metadata in SDE is to basically grant them ownership (INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE) of layers, etc.

I would like to grant certain users the ability to edit just the metadata and not the underlying data.

Since the metadata is not stored in the same table as the vector/raster data, it should be simple to implement a new checkbox on the "Privileges" dialog box that grants users the ability to edit just the metadata.

2 Comments
Bud
by

ArcGIS Pro 2.9.5; Oracle 18c 10.7.1 EGDB

I have access to a FC that is owned by a different department: CORP.ROADS. I have data editing privileges through an OS authentication .SDE connection for occasional data edits.

I was surprised to see that I can edit the metadata of that FC, even though I'm not the data owner; I'm not connecting through a database authentication .sde connection to CORP.

Should that behavior be changed so that only the data owner can edit the metadata? Or at least have configurable metadata editing privileges?

SSWoodward
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Thanks for the Idea @Bud

Seems like this Idea and the linked Idea below are asking for similar functionality.  The ability to assign privileges to edit data, and metadata individually.

If you agree I can merge them. 

“Edit Metadata” privilege