Select to view content in your preferred language

Easier color style item creation within catalog

06-28-2024 11:11 AM
Labels (1)
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor II

While I think there is much room for improvement with the way styles are handled in the catalog, one really tricky thing that I have to do fairly regularly is adding several colors at once.

Right now, that's a burden. Once you get to the colors section of the style (again, not an intuitive path to get there, either), it takes several clicks to get a single color added:

1. Click Manage ribbon tab
  2. Click New item
  3. Click Color
  4. Click the new color (black)
  5. Click Properties
  6. Enter the color (vast majority of the time, I double click in hex code)
  7. Paste hex code
  8. Click apply
  9. Click description
  10. Rename the color
  11. Rename the key (colors created this way do not auto-generate a key)
  12. Rename the tags (colors created this way default to 'black,' which is completely unnecessary to even include)
  13. Click Apply.

That's a lot of clicks, and they add up if you have a lot to add at once. You can't even use the keyboard to tab between Description and Properties -- not only annoying, but bad for accessibility as well.

One improvement would be to open up a simple floating window with everything from the description and properties tabs of the color pane. Place the cursor in the first box, and allow users to set it all there before the color appears in the catalog (e.g. click OK), and have it auto-generate a key like it does when saving a style item from within a map.

Another would be to have each color appear similar to the attribute table, so you can easily tab through and make edits rapidly.

Tags (1)