Do Not Un-Share Feature Services when Re-Publishing in ArcGIS Pro

02-20-2020 08:35 AM
Labels (1)
RyanUthoff
Occasional Contributor III

We're experiencing an "issue" when users re-publish feature services in ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Enterprise and it un-shares it with the group it was previously in. Below is an example of the issue.

I publish a feature service and share that feature service to a group. A second user (who is also an administrator in Portal) re-publishes the feature service, but it un-shares that feature service with the group if that user is not a member of the group. 

We never had this issue in ArcMap, so I don't understand why it's an issue in ArcGIS Pro. If you're an administrator, you have access to every single group in Portal, even if you are not a member of it. So I don't understand why it would un-share it with the group. I realize that it is an "easy" fix to just become a member of a group, but some users don't know what group a feature service is a part of and it's an inconvenience to go to the feature service, see what groups it is a part of, and verify that they are a member of the group. Plus, there is the added inconvenience that you (even as an administrator) can't even add yourself as a member to an existing group. You either have to ask someone else to add yourself, or change the owner of the group to yourself which doesn't make sense because you're not allowed to add yourself as a member, yet you can change the owner of the group to yourself.

Again, this issue did not exist in ArcMap. This is a pretty annoying inconvenience. I propose that re-publishing feature services in ArcGIS Pro does not un-share it with any group if the user who is re-publishing is not a member of that group.

1 Comment
SusanTran
Status changed to: Already Offered

This is a bug that was resolved in ArcGIS Pro 3.1. Please contact Support if you continue to see this issue with the latest release of ArcGIS Pro.