Select to view content in your preferred language

Direct Convert to annotation

11-23-2022 06:29 AM
Labels (1)
MarcelSt-Germain
Regular Contributor

Hi,

Convert to annotation work great but, slow when it parses to maplex engine.

My case is I frequently have to delete annotations and append new values in the database.

Since these point annotations are centres without taking care of the surroundings, my idea is to have an option to make the annotation directly without taking care of other elements in the surroundings.

I think about a checking box label like "Parse without maplex" or "Parse directly".

Doing so in Pro and arcmap save me time and crashes in arcmap.

For now, the only work over I found is to deactivate all my layers except the one I need to update.  When I forget to do so, it makes arcmap crash most of the time.  I haven't tested in Pro for now.

8 Comments
WendyHarrison
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

@MarcelSt-Germain  what are you seeing in Pro for this?

MarcelSt-Germain

@WendyHarrison 

Hi Wendy,

Doesn't really understand the question.  

There is two way to convert labels to annotations. Geoprosessing and layers, right click, convert label to annotation.

My idea is more for individual layer to be converted in annotations.  When updated annotations, I need just to update a layer rapidly (an before ESRI remove the append in pro, so understandable, easily replace the annotations)  In these cases, it could be easy to make the conversion without parsing inside maplex engine.  For now I have to uncheck all layers except the one I need then activate them after the conversion is done.  

If not uncheck for labeling, it's take lot of time because it's parse in maplex looking for all the rules.

WendyHarrison

@MarcelSt-Germain  you mention that in arcmap it was crashing when you converted labels to annotation.  is it crashing in pro?

in pro, convert labels to annotation is done through the geoprocessing tool.  you have a choice of whether to convert for the map or a single layer.

WendyHarrison_0-1716316172074.png

if you select the single layer option does it accomplish what you need?

MarcelSt-Germain

@WendyHarrison 

Maybe my English make me write the wrong way.  The problem, in arcmap is not that is crashing offend in label to annotation but the way it can't populate the field Tiled ID correctly.  It just populate some and I have to put the wright map number in the field tiled ID manually.

So, in pro,  for now the tiled ID is populated correctly (same way of doing it)

But if you read my suggestion is to add a way to choose between parsing tru maplex or not.  Sometime I just need one field to parse not in geoprocessing but in convert label to annotation with right clic.  I know now Pro parse in geoprocessig (the slowwww way to go) since it's take minutes just to let us choose the parameters. (5 min now and still running by exemple where it's take only seconds to do the same in arcmap).

Maybe I doesn't understand but you can choose all layers or one.  But, when selecting one, I think it apply all the maplex rules agains the others layers.  If I'm wrong and it only take in count, like only selecting one layer in arcmap, my Idea is irrelevant.  For now I can't check it because some brillant programmer remove the append possibility so need to stick in arcmap to do some basic things.

WendyHarrison

@MarcelSt-Germain you're ahead of me with your multiple languages!  I can only work in one language. 

are  you using the Tiled Labels to Annotation tool? it has the same option to convert a single layer.  when you choose single layer the Maplex Label Engine only places the labels for that layer and converts them.  It doesn't take the time to work out placement for the labels of all the layers in the map and use them as barriers for the layer you're converting.

WendyHarrison_0-1716330646914.png

MarcelSt-Germain

@WendyHarrison 

Hi thanks,  I was assuming that, since in arcmap, when making a single layer conversion it's take in count all layers it do the same in Pro.  Please to see it's the same as only make one layer check before applying the conversion.

I haven't be able to check if now, with 3,3, ESRI reintroduced the append we have in arcmap.  It's an essential feature for us.

WendyHarrison

it is not possible to append into an existing annotation feature class when converting labels to annotation at pro 3.3

i'm going to close out this idea and point people to the other idea you have for the append.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/append-label-to-annotation/idi-p/1309654

WendyHarrison
Status changed to: Closed