Designating Items In Legend Columns

06-22-2018 07:27 AM
Labels (1)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

PRO seems to lack the ability to designate which items are combined/grouped to be within a column in the legend.  The option of resizing patches and text to fit does not provide the solution, nor does the check box to keep in its own column.

For example, trying to get PRO to move the precincts boundary under the school district boundary-  There is no option to designate voting centers, school dist boundary, and prec boundary to be in one column.

"Keep in single column" does not group the items to a single column and is not a solution.

PRO needs to have the option as found in ArcMap:

People are still making paper maps and still require the ability to manipulate legend items to make them look professional.

15 Comments
by Anonymous User

@ Kory Kramer, It looks like there has been a lot of improvement on the initial issue-  the 'keep in single column' and 'new column' is responding like they should.  I think this idea can be closed?

ChadCoziahr

I think Sean H. had the right word choices for the problem. Control vs. Fiddle With

Sure the current Pro system is great for the kind of map that gets thrown together and doesn't have 3 perfectionist managers with keen eyes reviewing it. Then fiddle all you want, who cares if the font is the right height. But for those of us that have to do a high level of cartography on "boring" things like legends, this system is cause for screaming!

I need to be able to set controls on things like the font size, column breaks and even where a single theme breaks into the next column. The "Fitting Strategy" just makes it so I have to chose one function over the other, when both (or more) are necessary. These are the types of things that strongly impede migration.

The work around? Multiple legend items...well as long as they aren't dynamically moving through a map series.

AndersOlsson

Hi,

I am working in Pro 2.3.1 and maybe this is fixed in later version but this is how my legend behave

I have Arrangement - Fitting Strategy - Adjust Columns

The only change between the alternative is that I check New column för Järnväg. 

Why is the element at the back not visible in Alt 2.? There is space for it.

Alt 1.

Alt 2.

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

Implemented in ArcGIS Pro 2.7.

See Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 2.7: Something to Celebrate 

Also check out what's new in ArcGIS Pro 2.7!

AubriKinghorn
Status changed to: Implemented

This was implemented with the new Manual Columns fitting strategy in ArcGIS Pro 2.7. Learn more here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/layouts/layout-fitting-strategies.htm