Data driven pages. File name format

09-26-2011 04:39 AM
Labels (1)
JukkaHellen1
New Contributor II

It would be great if it would be possible to create custom formats for the file names that are produced by the data driven pages feature. Now it looks like this in ArcGIS 10 (ArcMap):

0EM30000000CrzN

You can choose etiher index, name or page number to be included in the file name

I think it should be done as in most file renaming tools:
The file names could be named using format strings like %D = date %C = creator %n = page number %N = page name etc.
Here's a couple of examples from Thunar File manager:

• %A The full weekday name according to the current locale.
  • %b The abbreviated month name according to the current locale.
  • %B The full month name according to the current locale.
  • %c The preferred date and time representation for the current locale.
  • %d The day of the month as a decimal number (range 01 to 31).
  • %F Equivalent to %Y-%m-%d (the ISO 8601 date format).
  • %H The hour as a decimal number using a 24-hour clock (range 00 to 23).
With this you could automagically create files that contain both page name, number and some other data.  Example: helsinki_%n_%N.pdf would create helsinki_1_east.pdf where 1 is the page number and east is the page name.

5 Comments
DeanAnderson2

Currently the files name option in the Export Layout MapSeries Pane includes only three options as follows: 

DeanAnderson2_0-1612376195417.png

Could we have a new option: Multiple PDF Files (Page Name as File name). We use a field for naming the output file (pdf).  Having only a suffix option means we have to delete the layout name after producing (exporting) the layout files. 

KoryKramer

It's a bit of a hack, but if you leave the name blank, then the page name as the "suffix" will simply be the pdf file name.  

In the image below you can see that I'm exporting to my C:/EXPORTS folder and I leave everything after EXPORTS blank.  When I choose 'Multiple PDF Files (Page name as suffix)' the parameter changes to C:/EXPORTS/.pdf and the separate pdfs are created using only the Page Name for the file name.

(In this case, my page name is 5).

KoryKramer_0-1612445094365.png

DeanAnderson2

You are correct.  That will work for now.  But... still think the naming options should be added. 

Thanks 

KoryKramer

You're welcome.  Glad that it helps you name your pdfs how you need to now.  

The idea is still open.

Cheers

JeffBarrette
Status changed to: Open

Hello Dean.  We have a mid-term issue: "Allow dynamic formatting when creating a map series output file name."  It is related to another IDEA that we got a while ago: https://community.esri.com/ideas/4323-data-driven-pages-file-name-format

I will add you new IDEA to our issue.  I'm sure you are aware that with a very simple Python script you would have complete control of output file name.

@KoryKramer is might be worth combining these two IDEAS, just an idea.