Create documentation for esri's conda

07-06-2022 06:35 AM
Labels (1)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Pro's capability is coming along very nicely and I'd like to request documentation for esri's conda environment to centralize all of the community/blog posts/esri documents that contain small snippets of commands, like proswap. This would help us Dev's work out a reliable means of deploying custom envs along with our custom add-ins/ toolboxes. Creating a custom env once is manageable for one pc, but I want to automate/ package up an env to deploy to 30+ pc's without (the user or I) having to sit through the clone, conda/pip installing of additional packages at each pc. How can I have Pro create an environment with the packages I need for the custom scripts? How can this process also include the ability to pip packages when the package is not in conda? I think this type of documentation for esri's conda would be greatly appreciated.

For reference, this idea came from developing a custom addin and needing to set up a custom environment on the target pc's. I am currently using a cmd/bat script that is launched by an add-in button to clone, install missing packages, pip other packages, and set the active environment, but it has only worked on a few pc's.

Thank you for your time!  Please give a thumbs up to help those who are trying to make things easier for you!

4 Comments
KoryKramer

Thanks for submitting this idea @Anonymous User 

There has been some internal discussion on this and it seems like there are potentially two separate ideas in this request: the first, and definitely the primary request based on the title and main point is about consolidating/improving the conda documentation, including some snippets and possibly even samples. That part is reasonable and the team will look into that. 

The second part of the request seems to be about building SDK wrappers around conda commands. If that is something that you'd like to request specifically, please submit that as its own, distinct idea. However, the initial review is that that part would not be a high priority for the development team. Instead, the focus around this request would be to provide some snippets and guide text.

Please see ArcGIS Ideas Submission Guidelines and Statuses for details on the thinking here. We'll change this from an SDK label to Python label to track it moving forward. 

Thank you for your participation and letting us know what will help you get your work done better! 

by Anonymous User

Thanks Kory,

Yes, the second part is more of a background/ why/ what I am trying to do type of info.  I do think it would be useful since custom scripts often need custom packages installed into the env and there doesn't seem to be anything showing us how to include and deploy them. I can put that into a separate idea and edit the original so its more clear.

Thanks again!

KoryKramer

Thanks, Jeff!

ShaunWalbridge
Status changed to: Under Consideration