Create Bookmarks using an Arcpy function?

06-22-2022 07:35 PM
Labels (1)
LindsaySpencer
New Contributor III

I would really enjoy using an arcpy function which could allow me to create a new and/or add to a bookmark file (.bkmx). The listBookmarks class in the mapping module is useful IF you already have bookmarks, but if they don't exist yet and you have to manually create them, that can be a bit of a bear. Ideally I'd want something I can pass parameters to like scale, Name, etc... This would make using it with a cursor fast and easy. And it would be super great if I could use it in Modelbuilder with iterators too (i.e. to iterate through a dataset as i would in a cursor loop, pull those values from the row, and plop them into the bookmark parameters). Who's with me?! 

6 Comments
JeffBarrette
Status changed to: In Product Plan

This is something we want to address near term.  The current plan is for Pro 3.2.

Chris_976

Yep, the abilty to create a series of bookmarks from a feature layer would be very helpfull !

MikkelSkielboe

A bit late to the party, but I am also very interested in a more automated method for generating bookmarks.

I mainly use bookmarks for performance test purposes with the PerfTools Add-in, where I e.g. imitate a user following a line feature by panning between 50+ bookmarks along the line feature. 

It would be great to have the ability to create bookmarks enveloping a feature from arcpy. In my case for instance, I dream of the ability to create bookmarks of a predefined extent and with a predefined interval along a line segment.

This is my first contribution to an ESRI community, so I apologies if I broke any etiquette rules.

KoryKramer

Thank you for the comment and including your specific use case @MikkelSkielboe ! No need to apologize - no etiquette rules broken. You voted for the idea by adding your kudos and provided your use case as a comment which is perfect.

The good news is that we have this idea "In Product Plan". As Jeff mentioned above, the plan is to have this available in ArcGIS Pro 3.2 coming later this year. See more about how idea statuses work here: ArcGIS Ideas Submission Guidelines and Statuses 

JeffBarrette

@LindsaySpencer @Chris_976 @MikkelSkielboe Thanks for your feedback.

We implemented a number of additional properties and methods concerning bookmarks for Pro 3.2.  Here is what we have so far.