Select to view content in your preferred language

Change Pro Delete Field Tool UX

02-24-2020 02:34 PM
Labels (1)
AlixBakke_SNC
Occasional Contributor

Today I finally became frustrated enough to suggest a UX change. Change the Delete Field tool UX to a list of fields with check boxes (yup like ArcMap) I just timed myself in setting up the tool to delete a number of fields from an intersect analysis result. Arc Map 19 seconds from clicking the tool to complete task. ArcPro 2 min 1 second for the same task.

Arc Pro also took a lot of additional concentration because a number of the fields had similar names and none of them were "human readable" (Thanks TIGER!) The UX design has a human operator over head of 637% on this one task! Add to it the need to refocus concentration of the larger analysis for which this is a small part and the overhead becomes much larger. Please help me work, don't give me things that take me off track.

Comparison of time to use delete field in Arc Pro 2.5 and Arc Map 10.7 Same File.

Above is a comparison of the UX and the amount of time it took me to navigate the UX to complete the  exact same task on the exact same data. 

A list of check boxes is incredibly more efficient  than a series of drop downs.

Delete Multiple Fields in a Table - ArcGIS Pro frustration‌   Still a problem after 3 years.

15 Comments
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

@KoryKramer @DanPatterson Thanks to both of you for your assistance. I see now I missed a critical part in Dans original replies to myself. I was clicking the wrong drop down and wasn't seeing the Add Many option. I can confirm that it does appear. 

It seems a bit counter intuitive having that option buried behind a button. As a suggestions, why not jsut list all of fields like in the Add Many option and you just check the ones you want to delete instead of having to then select Add and then repeat if you've missed some (or having to click the delete option to remove fields from the list). It would also make it easier instead of having to scroll up and down a long list if you can then drag the window to be taller and display more fields before needing to scroll (like below). Also, the current Add Many option lists fields by alphabetical order. This isn't very helpful when comparing 2 sets of fields. Wouldn't sorting them by the input schema be a better option?

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_0-1621901883045.png

DrewFlater
Status changed to: In Product Plan

KoryKramer

Thanks for the additional context @LindsayRaabe_FPCWA !  I see that Drew marked this one as In Product Plan, so it looks like the geoprocessing team will look at improving the UX for the Delete Fields tool!

To speak to some of your points, the geoprocessing tool should be seen as a backend way to automate field deletion workflows.  For many of the other things you mention (comparing schemas, sorting fields, etc.) working with the Fields view may be a better option.  

Cheers

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

@KoryKramer I only mentioned comparing schemas and sorting as an issue because in my current use case, I'm trying to setup the Delete Fields tool to delete a lot of fields so that the output matches an existing dataset (rebuilding an ArcMap model in ArcGIS Pro). Having the fields sorted in the Delete Field tool the same way they display in the Fields view of the other layer would make figuring out which ones needed to go a lot easier. Because one was sorted by the layer schema (Fields view of existing layer) and the other alphabetically (Delete Fields window modifying new layer), I had to keep moving up and down the list to select the fields to delete. 

Normally, the Fields view is my go to resource and find that a much better way to manage fields than how it was in ArcMap by a long shot. 

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

The Delete Field UI was updated in ArcGIS Pro 2.9 in response to this idea.  Thank you!

See Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 2.9 and go directly to 2:00 in the video for a quick demo.