arcgisscripting and arcpy object model diagrams

08-17-2010 09:00 AM
Labels (1)
NathanWarmerdam
New Contributor III

For python scripters, the most useful piece of documentation at 9.x was the Geoprocessing Programming Model (seen here: http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.3/pdf/Geoprocessor_93.pdf).  This is extraordinarily useful because it presents the whole of arcgisscripting concisely on a single page.

In the documentation for 10.0, this item cannot be found for arcgisscripting or arcpy.  Can you please add this?

68 Comments
FranzMitterboeck
I support this idea !
As an occasional Geoprocessing-Programmer the object model diagram has always been a great help for me.
GretaPoser
I support this idea. It would be helpful as an instructor and also for my students.
RussellMercer
@Chris_Fox - Your comments in context of the improved documentation of the arcpy site package are useful, however they assume one major factor. That factor is that everyone who wants to find something out about arcpy is going to now do a search in the help documentation for the answer. While the documentation is improved, the results provided by a keyword search at times are so varied that it is nearly impossible to find the correct documentation. Also from a contractor's standpoint, there is a lot more efficiency and utility in a quick reference document, than having to do a search through the help, every time you want to find a particular object reference. Someone made a good point about being visual learners. Having an Object Model Diagram is useful for the same reason that GIS and Mapping is useful. It makes following a chain of objects through a tree, visual, instead of having to interpret written documentation which leads to the same answer. An Object Model Diagram for ArcPy would be a HUGE benefit. Please provide one!!
LayneSeely
The 9.x geoprocessor model diagrams were VERY helpful to me.  Please create a new one for arcpy.
JohnSchmid

I would find an arcpy OMD helpful. Pretty please.

RoyHewitt
Give the people what they want!  Just because you spent extra time developing the help system doesn't mean that user's shouldn't have a visual guide.
John_DavidWilson
A set of arcpy object model diagrams would be VERY helpful.  The 'Help' documentation approach is cumbersome at best.

I am disappointed that ESRI believes that such diagrams are unimportant to its customers.
MartinHvidberg
I very much would like to have this overview...

🙂 Martin
TimLangner
Data modelling diagrams and flow charts are extremly useful and importamt when designing a database. Equally I feel they are also useful and important in this case.
EricKooser
In the dark without it...