arcgisscripting and arcpy object model diagrams

08-17-2010 09:00 AM
Labels (1)
NathanWarmerdam
New Contributor III

For python scripters, the most useful piece of documentation at 9.x was the Geoprocessing Programming Model (seen here: http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.3/pdf/Geoprocessor_93.pdf).  This is extraordinarily useful because it presents the whole of arcgisscripting concisely on a single page.

In the documentation for 10.0, this item cannot be found for arcgisscripting or arcpy.  Can you please add this?

68 Comments
Ryan_Galbraith
I don't care if it takes up three or four posters, it is a necessity in my office!
AprilBrough
Even if it isn't all-encompassing, the programming model was a great tool to hand to newbies to give them an overall picture.  And helpful to those of us that forget things.  It doesn't have to be 10 stories tall, just a basic road map.  ESRI does do mapping, doesn't it?  😉  Even the old models didn't contain all things Python; it just helped you navigate through different aspects the geoprocessor.  If a new model isn't created for v10, I think people will just continue to hand around the 9.3 version and try to verbally explain changes.  Not the most convenient approach.
AdamRoberts2
Would be a huge help...
HaraldGladytz2
Would be a great help ...
LeoForetich_Jr
Please
thierryboch1
it would be very very useful
ChrisFox

Thank you for posting the idea along with all your comments for why you feel the OMD is particularly valuable in your work. There are a few reasons we have chosen not to produce object model diagrams for the ArcPy site package. Traditionally Python’s own modules and other 3rd party site packages do not carry Object Model Diagrams. An OMD was provided with arcgisscripting to help customers comfortable with ArcObjects and its Object Model Diagram make the transition to Python. At ArcGIS 10, ArcPy was more than just a name change; it was a change in the way we organized and presented our python implementation, something that is more in line with the idea of a true Python site-package. In addition, major efforts have been made to improve the help for Python at ArcGIS 10. With arcgisscripting, there was limited intellisense and doc strings, so without some visual help directly in front of you, it was very difficult to know what functions and properties existed. The help is also better structured in ArcGIS 10.0 under the topic ‘The ArcPy Site-package’ with a list of all the functions and classes and embedded links between related topics. With these improvements to the documentation and built-in help within Python we believe all the resources are in place to successfully navigate ArcPy.

KatieBrien
Chris,

As a visual learner, I have always loved Object models as it helps filter through all the Python doc files. I find that in order to search for the right doc file you need to know where to start, as a python learner trapsing through all the ESRI doc files is in my mind a waste of time if I don't know where to start. For example, without the 9.3 geoprocessor model I wouldn't have been able to find the Centerpoint property because when you search for centerpoint in the help files, you get a lot of garbage before you get to the programming side of things.

Personally I think ESRI has done a great diservice to customer by not providing this as it made programmers lives a hell of a lot easier to get around updates and additions to geoprocessing with python.
Louis-JeanFaucher1
 Sounds like this idea has been shut down, as per Chris_Fox's reply. As an ESRI Distributor employee and ArcGIS instructor, I am seriously disappointed by this. Still, keep asking your friends and colleagues to promote this idea! you never know
BradFisher3
 A 'slight' oversite on esri's behalf.