ArcGIS Pro functions for map services

04-22-2020 01:30 AM
Labels (1)
AdolfŠikola
New Contributor II

I believe that ArcGIS Pro should also include features for managing map services such as:

• stopping map service
  • starting map service
  • restart map service
  • delete map service
47 Comments
RandyKreuziger1

I talked to ESRI about these pre quarantine and asked for them to mark this down as an enhancement request. They said I needed a work case where using the ArcGIS Server Administrator wouldn't work.  In the end I don't think I was successful in getting the enhancement through  

tigerwoulds

In ArcGIS Desktop, we could connect to a GIS Server and Start/Stop/Restart services. I would like this functionality to exist in ArcGIS Pro as well. We have many users who are not quite ready for access to ArcGIS Server Manager but are still responsible for updating and maintaining services. Some examples:

• In order to update services coming from SDE, they need to stop the service, then make edits to the data
  • If something isn't working right, they can start by restarting the service

We would prefer that these users do not have access to change service configurations outside of these functions, like editing # of instances and capabilities through Server Manager. Server Manager also shows some GIS Server settings that we definitely do want accessible by the everyday GIS user. 

RandyKreuziger1

I tried opening an enhancement request with ESRI about a year ago for those very same reasons, but they told me the functionality is there in Server Manager so enhancement request rejected 😐  I mentioned it's available in ArcCatalog to which they said Pro is not a replacement for ArcCatalog 🤔

tigerwoulds

@RandyKreuziger1 Bummer! I may try again.

Olivier_MOUGEL

I agree with this idea. Switching to arcgis enterprise web interface is a lack of time.

For example, in order to update for layer's properties, we must stop map services. Why not making possible to do so in ArcGIS Pro ? 

LukeSavage

ArcGIS 10.9 and higher, no more ArcMap, ArcCatalog

Argument:  You can do this in ArcGIS server manager.  

Rebuttal:  ArcMap and ArcCatalog could do it even with ArcGIS server manager.  Is ArcGIS Pro incapable of such a task?  One UI for the ArcGIS Professional is the mantra.  For GIS admins, seems like we are missing something.  

Please consider this enhancement esri because when you are managing multiple environments, having multiple browsers or tabs open while performing updates to schemas in ArcGIS Pro is somewhat inefficient and frankly frustrating.  ArcGIS Pro 3.0?

JoeGuziStarkCountyOH

I agree with @LukeSavage .... This needs to be in pro...

I needed to stop 13 services... in catalog I can highlight them all, right-click and stop...

do you know how long that would take through server manager.... the answer is forever..... because you have to stop them one at a time through server manager.... 

RandyKreuziger1

Joe, I think we need more users submitting an office enhancement request directly to ESRI.  If you have ESRI maintenance you can have one of your people put in the request and I would hope @LukeSavage  has done the same. 

ESRI looks at the numbers so that's how we can try to influence there decisions.  When I put in the request their logic is that the AGS Server Manager web interface already does this and Pro is not meant to replace ArcMap.  Everything mentioned above if very true, it takes forever! 

MarkSmith

I’m new to using Pro but I have to say I’m absolutely astounded that this functionality is missing from Pro, I thought Pro was meant to be better than ArcGIS Desktop but the first thing I try and use is missing from it!  Administering services is one of the key things we use ArcCatalog for - all the time, it provides a central interface to get to all the options to manage our ArcGIS Server services.  ArcGIS Server Manager with its web front end is really clunky and slow by comparison.  Whilst I’m aware changing a setting such as enabling WMS would restart a service using ArcCatalog, the need in Pro to open the original map document and re-publish just to make a setting change is a huge backwards step – additionally I may not have access to the original map document to do this – not a problem at the moment using ArcCatalog.

ArcCatalog gives me everything I need to get to all the service settings and manage caches etc, ESRI please add this to Pro, as it stands you've made our jobs harder with Pro, it should be simpler with an improved product.